C9 Won't Allow Microsoft Updates Via Wifi But.....

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-08-25 23:47:10
Model : C9

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : Most Recent

ISP :

Here's a poser for you.
My C9 will not allow any household PCs to connect with Microsoft's update servers or with Apple's iTunes store. This is the case whether I'm connected via 3.2ghz or 5ghz or ethernet. Apple reports a security issue and Windows simply times out while trying to find updates telling me to try again later. So here's the rub. I have a couple of Apple Airport Express units connected to the C9 via Ethernet. I use them to stream music through the house. If I connect my laptops or PC's to the AE units via WiFi I CAN access MS and Apple for services and updates. It's just crazy.

There must be some sort of security setting I've inadvertemtly started but I can't find it. Any help you can provide to troubleshoot this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Options
6 Reply
Re:C9 Won't Allow Microsoft Updates Via Wifi But.....
2017-08-26 15:13:52
If you connect a computer directly to your modem (not the Wi-Fi router), can you access said sites?
Options
2017-08-27 21:15:44

Tink wrote

If you connect a computer directly to your modem (not the Wi-Fi router), can you access said sites?

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, connected directly to the cable modem via ethernet cable Win10 update almost immediately found an update for Windows Defender. Connected via ethernet cable to the C9 the PC wouldn't connect with the update server. My workaround is to stick a Wifi dongle in a USB port and connect with an Airport Express (which is connected to the C9 via Ethernet). As noted earlier, my laptop which is always Wifi won't update when connected with either radio to the C9 but 'will' update if connected to the Airport Express.

Cheers!
Options
2017-08-28 14:39:40
Other than that, you can browse and stream on laptops or PCs, right? Did you set any restriction/filtering rules on the router?
Options
2017-08-29 02:24:57
Yes, other than those two sites/links everything seems to work normally. I don't have any filters set (that I'm aware of). In "Basic Security Settings" Firewall, vpn and alg are all enabled. In Advanced Security DoS protection is disabled and none of the boxes below are checked. As far as I'm aware everything is 'out of the box' stock.
I'm open to any suggestion ;)

Cheers
Options
2017-08-29 05:54:54
I would try saving your router settings, resetting to factory defaults, and manually setting up the router to just have your SSID and password, then try to connect to iTunes and Windows Update. If it works, continue setting up the router manually (sorry!), otherwise you can load your saved settings since it still won't work.Do you have both ipv4 and ipv6 set properly? Contact your provider if you don't know what ipv6 settings to use (if you have Comcast, just search the TP-LINK site for the proper settings because they have a help article about it - Google search will also find it).
Options
2017-08-30 05:50:46
I was afraid it might come to that so, fresh start it is. I'll report back in case this is ever an issue for someone else.

UPDATE: I followed Tink's advice and reset the router to factory spec. That immediately fixed the issue. All PCs logged on, some WiFi, others Ethernet, and immediately connected to Microsoft's update site. I took the opportunity to organize IP addresses and now it's all good. Thanks Tink!!

Cheers
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 466

Replies: 6

Related Articles