Deco P9 setup with add'l C7 router and Switches - Best Configuration?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-23 19:44:43 - last edited 2020-01-07 19:20:44
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just have a quick question – have a Deco P9 set (3 units) an Archer C7 and an Archer C8.   Also have a TP SG105 and a SG108 switch.  Setting up for a large home (~8,000 sq ft) so thinking to use the C7 and maybe the C8 hooked in with the Deco units.  Have gigabit fiber coming in.  No modem – straight from the fiber box.  Wondering if I should go fiber into the C7, then the C7 into the Deco and the switches (as the C7 has four LAN ports) --  or should I go fiber to the Deco primary unit first, then to the C7 and then to the switches – or fiber to the Deco then to switch and then to the C7?   I believe both C7 and C8 have fw to interact with the Deco.  Not sure where I would hook in the C8 – thinking off the switch in another room somewhere.  Primary equipment is in a closet and 11 lines run out to various rooms in the house.  Just want to set up right.  Thx

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco P9 setup with add'l C7 router and Switches - Best Configuration?-Solution
2019-12-31 01:55:29 - last edited 2020-01-07 19:20:44

@ChipM 

The problem with using the Archer C7 and or C8 with the Deco P9 is that you would have essentially 3 seperate network  created.  The Deco Mesh is not designed to work in conjuction with the Archer C7 or C8 traditional routers.  While you can put the C7/C8 in AP mode you will still have their wireless creating seperate APs for devices.  Even if you use the same name and used Powerline adapters to connect the Archer C7/C8 in seperate locations and did not have the wireless of those devices overlapping the Decos you would still see connection issues as your client devices tried to decided what AP to use. 

The Best bet would be to get a few more Deco units and add them to your Deco network to expand the coverage under 1 single AP network.  You can setup 10 total nodes which includes the node connect to your fiber drop.  The Decos also do not have to be the P9 either. they can be any of the Decos on the market. I would advoid the W2400 though.  That is only because its ethernet ports are fast 10/100, so if you connected something dirrectly to them you would be limited to 100 Mbps.  All of the other Deco feature gigabit ports.  

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco P9 setup with add'l C7 router and Switches - Best Configuration?-Solution
2019-12-31 01:55:29 - last edited 2020-01-07 19:20:44

@ChipM 

The problem with using the Archer C7 and or C8 with the Deco P9 is that you would have essentially 3 seperate network  created.  The Deco Mesh is not designed to work in conjuction with the Archer C7 or C8 traditional routers.  While you can put the C7/C8 in AP mode you will still have their wireless creating seperate APs for devices.  Even if you use the same name and used Powerline adapters to connect the Archer C7/C8 in seperate locations and did not have the wireless of those devices overlapping the Decos you would still see connection issues as your client devices tried to decided what AP to use. 

The Best bet would be to get a few more Deco units and add them to your Deco network to expand the coverage under 1 single AP network.  You can setup 10 total nodes which includes the node connect to your fiber drop.  The Decos also do not have to be the P9 either. they can be any of the Decos on the market. I would advoid the W2400 though.  That is only because its ethernet ports are fast 10/100, so if you connected something dirrectly to them you would be limited to 100 Mbps.  All of the other Deco feature gigabit ports.  

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco P9 setup with add'l C7 router and Switches - Best Configuration?
2020-01-07 19:20:29

@Carl  Carl, thanks for the advice on the Deco units.  For the time being, I set up my C8 as the primary router with the Deco's set up in AP mode (did this per a suggestion from the TP support group).  Seems to be working OK and have coverage throughout the house.  Currently not using the C7.

I will likely buy a couple more Deco's and get rid of the C8 and set u[p the way you have suggested.  Just have to get back to it.

Again, thanks for you feedback!

Chip

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1457

Replies: 2

Related Articles