Slow LAN speed one direction

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-04 01:28:33
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.13901(5553)

Hi,

I recently bought the Archer C4000. The main reason I'm upgrading is to improve my LAN file transfer performance. I don't care about the ISP speed as that's already satisfactory to me (ISP is 100/100 Mbps, and I get about 70/90 Mbps from speedtest.com). However, I am getting drastically poor LAN file transfer speed from one computer to another, all connected to the same C4000 router. 

Here's a brief description of my setup: I have my Mac server hooked up to the C4000 via ethernet cable, and other laptop and devices connected to the router via Wifi. There are about 10 total devices connected to the router, but only about 4 of them share the two 5Ghz AP including the laptop. 

ISP gateway --- ethernet cable --- C4000 router --- ethernet cable --- mac server

|  wifi 

laptop, phones, etc

After setup, I tested LAN speed between the laptop and the Mac server using iperf3. When tested on the laptop, the read (download) speed from the local Mac server is reasonable (~600 Mbps, ~70 MB/s), however, the write (upload) speed is very slow (maxed out at 200 Mbps when laptop is close to router. Using my previous router, I was able to achieve ~300 Mbps upload with the same setup, so I don't think the bottleneck is with the Mac server, or its hard drive (SSD). 

So it seems the LAN tranfer speed for the C4000 is throttled at one direction (laptop --wifi--> router --cable--> server) but not the other way around. Is there any settings on C4000 I can tweak to lift this throttling? What I already tried:

1. disabling firewall and antivirus on the HomeCare

2. disabling all ALG NAT forwarding

3. setting QoS to default (application priority to standard, device priority to none, and bandwidth to 1000 Mbps both)

4. enabling and disabling airtime fairness and MU MIMO for the two 5Ghz wifi AP.

But none above helps. I also contacted TP-Link chat customer service regarding the issue but the rep kept telling me to bypass the router and test ISP upload speed, which I believe won't help with my LAN problem. 

I really hate to return this unit to Costco as all other aspects of performance are very satisfactory. But improving the LAN backup speed from my laptop to the server is one main reason I bought it and it's failing miserably. 

Thanks,

Steven

Options
4 Reply
Re:Slow LAN speed one direction
2020-08-04 13:07:03
I assume you are using the C4000 WIFI and not the gateway's WIFI. I would see if I could test by bypassing the WIFI with the laptop to see if that is the bottleneck. Try different channels and band width.
Options
2020-08-04 16:20:14

@stevenzli 

You mentioned there are four devices that are on the 5GHz connection. If the laptop is one of them, what upload speed do you get for the other devices?

When you did the testing on the laptop, were all devices except the laptop and Mac server disconnected?

If you wire your laptop to the router what speeds do you get now?

Options
2020-08-04 17:48:15

@Tony @ArcherC8 

Thank you for replying. To answer your questions:

1. Yes all client devices are connected to the router, the ISP gateway doesn't have WIFI function.

2. When testing I've tried creating a dedicated 5Ghz ac-only AP for the laptop but that doesn't make a difference. 

3. Testing with other clients yielded different results. An iPhone X (with an iperf3 app) reports average 485 Mbps upload speed, and the other Macbook Air also performs at 500-600 Mbps upload/download. While the main Macbook Pro I was testing with yesterday still yields only 200 Mbps upload (same location, setup, AP). 

So it seems the issue is narrowed down to the particular Macbook Pro's WIFI connection to the C4000. But why is WIFI LAN download speed not affected, but only the upload speed? Is this to do with the output power of the WIFI antenna of the device?

Options
2020-08-04 22:20:25

@stevenzli 

There was an older article about Wi-Fi issues and Mac pros.

Two fixes mentioned were to forget any saved networks, and also to modify the MTU on the computer.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1043

Replies: 4

Related Articles