Ad-blocking on Deco?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Ad-blocking on Deco?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Ad-blocking on Deco?
Ad-blocking on Deco?
2020-08-04 21:52:05
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.5.Built 20200709 Rel 45606

I just upgrade from Samsung Smarthings Wi-Fi to the Deco X60. Everything is better, except for one thing: Ad blocking.

Yes, I can install a Chome extension, or install some sort of ad blocking apps and programs on each device, or better yet, get Pi-hole on a RasberryPie or something. I got it.

But, is there any plan to an Ad-blocking feature to the system? Or is there something already there and I just not finding it?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Ad-blocking on Deco?
2020-08-05 16:11:53

@JRSmooth 

The Deco does have the malicious website filter that resides in the Antivirus which block sites according to the TrendMicro security database. So it may not block ads, in that you would use extensions like you mentioned.

Options
Re:Ad-blocking on Deco?
2020-08-13 02:31:09

@JRSmooth I run pi-hole on a separate old laptop.  It's a simple setup, so if you can futz your way around some basic linux it works great.  https://pi-hole.net/

I still have my router be the dhcp server and I set the primary DNS to be the pi-hole computer and the secondary to Cloudflare.  That way if there's ever a problem with the pi-hole server the other computers in the won't be affected.  All that's lost is the ad blocking.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 9114

Replies: 2

Related Articles