High latency caused by router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-02 21:05:04
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.15 Build 20200628 rel.63501(4555)

I have a D-Link ADSL modem (2740u) and TP-Link C7 wireless router. The modem is responsible for internet connection and the router provides an access point. The router is connected to the modem by an ethernet cable and nothing else is connected to the modem. Recently, I have very high latency (something around 3-5s on pinging 8.8.8.8, similar on other destinations). At first, I thought there's something wrong with the ISP but they checked and told me everything seems fine from their side. I checked almost any moving part in the network. Everything seems so fine. I have stable connection to internet, connection to router is fine (latency is less than a millisecond) and the same for the modem (latency is less than a millisecond). I connected to laptop to the modem with an ethernet cable directly but the ping was so high. Accidentally, I removed the ethernet cable of the router and it instantly decreased latency to 70ms (from 3-5 second)!

I'm sorry if it sounds so dumb but I think it's the root cause. These are what I tried so far but still ping is so high.

• upgrade my router firmware
  • reset the router to factory settings
  • change MTU (1500, 1400, 1300) of the connection between the modem and the router.
  • change the modem to TP-Link VR400.
  • change the cable between modem and router

It would be great to have your suggestions.

Options
7 Reply
Re:High latency caused by router
2020-11-03 22:10:53

@nima 

nima wrote

I have stable connection to internet, connection to router is fine (latency is less than a millisecond) and the same for the modem (latency is less than a millisecond). I connected to laptop to the modem with an ethernet cable directly but the ping was so high. Accidentally, I removed the ethernet cable of the router and it instantly decreased latency to 70ms (from 3-5 second)!

I am not sure I get this part.

Both the router and modem gave low latency then your latency was high when directly connecting to the modem, but disconnecting the router solved it?

If the Archer C7 is running as a router, have you tried changing it to run as an access point?

Options
2020-11-04 08:53:35

Tony wrote

Both the router and modem gave low latency then your latency was high when directly connecting to the modem, but disconnecting the router solved it?

Yes exactly, 

@Tony I tried your suggestion, seems changing to AP mode solves the problem. I'll update you. If it happens again. I can't understand what has changed in the router mode that causes high latency.

Options
2020-11-20 19:56:36 - last edited 2020-11-20 19:56:58

@Tony the issue is still persistent. do you have any idea how to fix this problem?

Options
2020-11-23 22:49:03

@nima 

I would recommend reaching out to your local support team so they make work with you in narrowing down the potential issue.

Options
2020-11-23 22:52:05

@Tony unfortunately there's no official support in Iran. 

Options
2020-11-24 14:13:23
You have done just about everything I would have tried. I assume you are using the same power adapter that came with the router and that you have good power source. Disconnect all the Ethernet connections except of the one PC and turn off the WIFI, remove any USB devices and then test. Since you are in Iran, there is another forum that may have the answer as they may have encountered it before. https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/32 (note the 'en' instead of 'us' in the link.
Options
2020-11-24 17:53:41

@nima 

Here is our global support team, regardless of region: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/contact-technical-support/#E-mail-Support

You can get in touch with our agents that way.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6954

Replies: 7

Related Articles