Does dns spoofing require communication to work and does ap isolation protect against dns spoofing?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Does dns spoofing require communication to work and does ap isolation protect against dns spoofing?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-14 14:20:24
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.10 Build 20210513 rel.63256(5553)

Does dns spoofing require communication to work? and does AP isolation protect against dns spoofing? because it prevents commication of devices i don't know how someone can spoof the dns. I know AP isolation works on arp spoofing but i don't know about dns. I'm asking this because i am curious whether or not dns spoofing is possible with AP isolation turned on which prevents direct communication of devices. Because pc's and laptops do not really use any secured dns they use their isp dns which is set as 192.168.1.1 by default. unless configured with google dns which is 8.8.8.8 i know dnssec protects against spoofing of dns but what happens if dnssec was not configured by the isp and the dns was set with its default dns without any security of dnssec for example and we rely on AP isolation My main question is will AP isolation protect against dns spoofing? because with dns spoofing being possible it is possible for data to be read by someone sniffing or spoofing the dns. I hope i get a detailed answer from someone who is a staff here in tp link. I just posted this in the forums so others would know also. If they also wanted to know so i hope i get a detailed answer from someone who knows about network security or someone who is a staff of TP link.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Does dns spoofing require communication to work and does ap isolation protect against dns spoofing?
2021-10-16 12:43:33

@Johnsmith2 

I am no great expert in DNS spoofing but do understand a few things.

I would not think AP isolation would protect you.

Generally, the DNS can be set at different places and depending on where it is set will determine which DNS is used. 

There are many attack points for DNS spoofing. Your devices, routers, ISP, the DNS servers, and even a VPN all can be hacked and changed to use a different DNS. 

In order for a computer to access the internet faster, computers store the websites addresses you previously used. So if you were spoofed, going to a clean DNS will not fix the issue. You need to clear the history. One example would be you are out somewhere with your laptop and use what you think is the ISP's hotpoint and go to a new website that was DNS spoofed. Now that spoofed address is in your history. You get home, connect to the AP, however as I understand, it will use the spoofed address until the history is cleared for that website.

Apps and programs could alter the DNS settings in a device to use a different DNS. Most would not notice that it occurred. How many people ever look at their iPad to see if any of the Wireless settings point to a specific DNS and would know what it meant?

See https://usa.kaspersky.com/resource-center/definitions/dns for some useful info.

One thing in they say in the writeup I do not totally agree with is a VPN protects you. There is a lot of questions these days about how well a VPN protects you and if they actually doing things such as data mining or worse. I am sure there are many good VPN providers out there, but which ones? 

Options
Re:Does dns spoofing require communication to work and does ap isolation protect against dns spoofing?
2021-10-16 12:56:00

@ArcherC8 

Alright thank you for a detailed answer. I hope this thread helps also those who are curious whether ap isolation protects against dns spoofing.

Options