Anyone found the fix for wireless vr stuttering for tp link devices?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-02 19:36:12 - last edited 2022-07-07 18:45:59
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: v1.2_211231

I could talk about the countless hours I've spent troubleshooting my wireless vr experience and findings over the last few weeks but I will keep this brief. I have been dealing with constant stuttering in vr games with my quest 2 over airlink and virtual desktop and I have narrowed the problem down to the router, the AX1800/AX21. The equipment works and I get the internet speeds that I should be getting, but even after configuring the settings and 5ghz channels I can not play without constant stuttering despite having a consistent 90fps. After talking to the developer from virtual desktop, he says that the TP link routers are not recommended at all because a lot of people have this issue with them. Even past forum posts on here people explain this issue exactly and get a generic response like "we will look into it" and here a year later this issue persists in so many of the tp link devices. 

I have tried using ax mode, ac mode, creating separate 5ghz channels, turning off the 2.4ghz band, scanning my area to see which channels are the least congested, changing the channel width and transmit power, making sure there are no weird settings on like smart connect or QOS, manually updating the firmware, but nothing seems to get rid of the stuttering. The network stats im getting in game are all completely normal with no spikes or anything and it says that I have an "excellent 5ghz connection", and it shows 1200mpbs. I have also tried lowering the render resolution really low and even turning the bitrate pretty much all the way down it still stutters the same amount. To be honest I don't know how many more hours I can spend getting this worked out or if it even can be. 

I understand that this is a very specific issue and there won't be a ton of people having it but has anyone else been able to find the fix? 

Setup specs:

ethernet cable from pc to AX1800 used as an access point connected to xfinity router (only the pc and quest 2 are connected to the network)

Evga 3080ftw3

Ryzen 7 5800x

Asus tuf gaming wifi 2 motherboard

32gb corsair vengeance ram

Options
6 Reply
Re:Anyone found the fix for wireless vr stuttering for tp link devices?
2022-07-06 03:50:58

Hello @coachcav 

Thank you very much for all the detailed info about the issue you are experiencing with the Archer AX1800. To be more specific, is the model Archer AX1800 or AX21? Please check this by looking at the bottom of the router, where you will find a sticker.

Do you mean the AX1800 is working as an Access Point and the Xfinity router is the main DHCP gateway? Are the pc and quest 2 the only devices that connect to the AX1800? If possible, it's suggested to adjust the Bitrate of Quest 2, you can open the setting interface of Virtual Desktop in the VR glasses to adjust the Bitrate parameters.

If that doesn't help, we would like to escalate your case to our support engineers, who may help and suggest further. Please let me know if it helps or not.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-07-18 20:12:20 - last edited 2022-07-18 20:12:54

You may want to explore setting up QoS (Quality of Service) on your router for your VR devices. It is pretty straight forward.  This will give priority to that traffic and hopefully improve your experience. Do some Google research on QoS setup as gaming and high BW applications such as streaming is what QoS is intended for.

Options
2022-10-21 18:20:03 - last edited 2022-10-21 18:20:23

I also have the Archer AX1800. It's a hardware version 1.2 which is the oldest I believe. I use this router as my gateway so it hosts my internet connection with a direct gigabit line to my modem. I pay for gigabit and get reliable speeds of around 941 mbit download and 41 mbit upload. I have zero latency issues if I use this router as a dedicated 5GHz wifi hotspot and only connect my Quest 2 headset to it.

I set the router to a clear channel and force it to 80 MHz and AX only, and I get a constant 1200 link rate to the headset. I also turned off OFDMA and smart connect on the router and only use the 5 GHz band. When I have tried having other devices connect wirelessly to this device I start to run into big issues, so I just gave up and use an older netgear router that I have the supports 5GHz N and use that from another room for my other devices.

I have been doing this for about 18 months now, and I haven't had any issues since setting it up this way. Works great with Virtual Desktop set to Ultra quality and a max bitrate of 150 mbit.

Options
2023-01-21 04:02:10
How did you turn off OFDMA? I can't find this setting
Options
2023-02-02 18:02:08
Are you using Windows 11? If so, I think you may need the debug tool up like in this article. Google this (because this forum doesnt allow me to post links: "Fix windows 11 Quest 2 Stuttering" There are also youtube vids. Otherwise, it looks like your router settings are similar to mine.
Options
2023-02-02 18:09:22
@Sapphiman I think OFDMA is in the advanced>Wireless>Wireless Settings (checkbox at the top)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3690

Replies: 6

Related Articles