Help with child access

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Help with child access

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Help with child access
Help with child access
2022-10-12 17:07:47
Model: Deco M3  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

We have a deco m3 system and my kid's devices are listed under child option. I have blocked websites on the deco under child settings but he seems to still be able to access the websites instagram and ticktok as he has the apps. 

I have also blocked his phone ip address but then the smart one that he is, changes a setting on his phone and a new Mac address will appear on our list of online devices but then I just block that too. 

Is there way to block unknown devices or a option for any new users to request access. I can't keep changing wiif password as he does need internet for school work but then trying to block him from the rest of the internet. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Help with child access
2022-10-12 18:18:46

@Momma786 

What you are looking for is an ACL/Whitelist.  Unfortunately, that is not currently in the feature set of the Deco Product line / Deco app.   What is the crux of this concern is that Apple and Android a little while ago added a feature, that they thought was providing additional security. This is the private Wi-Fi address.  Which like a VPN masks the true device address while online.  The problem is that address is what is used by parental controls to recognize a device and apply the filters and controls to.  When you privatize this address the parental controls as you have seen are broken.  I looked it up and have found no way to permanently disable it either.  Sure it can be toggled off but a smart kid will know where to go to turn it back on.  Sort of taking the devices away there isn't much that can be done with Deco at this time.  

One thing you can try is under options there is a 'Connection Alerts' and you can set it to push notifications every time a new device is found.  If you don't recognize this device then you can block it and it will lose access.  I will add this to our list of requests we send up every month to the design team.  

Options