Archer AX21 frequently dropping internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-05 19:35:17 - last edited 2023-02-05 19:52:53
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello TP-Linkers,

I've been having issues with internet connectivity since I moved a year ago and set up a new router and modem (previously I had the ISP integrated one-box setup). I thought it was an issue with Comcast but now am convinced the problem is a faulty AX21. I'm planning to replace with a different brand but wanted to see if anyone had ideas first. I emailed TPlink support and tried the online chat, but no response so far.

The router frequently drops internet connection which requires a reset of the router to resolve. During this time, multiple connected wifi devices including desktop PC, TV, laptop PCs, and phones all lose internet connectivity although they retain their connection to the 2.4 G and 5G network bands. Plugging an ethernet cable directly into my motorola modem during this time gives a working internet connection, and the ISP reports no outages in the area. This happens once every couple days or so, sometimes multiple times in one day and is very disruptive to working from home. All bands (2.4 and 5) drop simultaneously and for all devices.

I had updated the firmware around a week ago and it went a few days without any drops. This morning, the connection dropped abruptly again (wifi light turns orange; modem internet light is still green) and multiple reboots didn't fix the issue. I did a factory reset as well and still the router can't get a connection from the modem. I'm out of ideas other than replacing the router. The ethernet cable works fine (verified by directly connecting a laptop to the modem).

Thanks in advance!

**Edit: forgot to mention that I have already been through all the troubleshooting steps. Logging into the tplink.net web interface brings up a message saying there is a hardware connectivity issue and that I need to contact tech support which I have done. Hopefully they will respond soon, but if anyone knows anything in the meantime I would appreciate it.

This thread (https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/522208) seems to suggest the issue is solved by updating the firmware -- not true for my case, neither factory reset nor firmware update again have worked

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer AX21 frequently dropping internet connection
2023-02-06 02:27:24

@Routerino 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the TP-Link community.

We have received your email and the case have been forwarded to our support engineers, who will help look into the issue further.

Meanwhile, can you please save and send the router system log to the email? It seems you're not connecting to the internet via the AX21 now. You may login to the router and try to connect it to the internet as you always did before, then save the log. Connecting the computer back to the motorola modem, and you should be able to get online, then send the router log via email.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 890

Replies: 1

Related Articles