Devices drop off XE5300 after several weeks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-11 00:05:03
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.8 Build 20221121 Rel 36691

I experience devices dropping off the wifi network after running fine for several weeks.  Yesterday the Ecobee and Ring devices dropped off the network.  Re-booting the router resolved the problem and all devices are now working fine.  Now I expect everything will work fine for several more weeks.  Is this common for the XE5300?  There are 58 clients on the  network, both Ethernet and wifi.  Is there a way to set the router up to reboot automatically every week, so I can circumvent the problem?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Devices drop off XE5300 after several weeks
2023-02-13 12:51:17

@Mesa routers these days are very much like little computers, and just like regular computers and mobile phones and yes modems too, they all require periodic reboots.  I reboot my Deco's once a week and the gateway once every two weeks, with the result being a network almost 100% issue free, except for the odd outage caused by weather or other outside event. At least one reboot a month for routers and modems is considered a good practice to keep everything fresh. 

Options
2023-02-18 01:44:33
@richardj186 I understand what you are saying and if it is true that newer routers cannot stay running for long periods and need occasional reboots, it seems funny that TP-Link no longer has an option to schedule an automatic reboot in a given period of time. I did have this option set on an older TP-Link router. I wonder if TP-Link would be open to adding this option instead of having users manually reboot.
Options
2023-02-18 04:34:10

@Mesa periodic router reboots have been considered a best practice since at least 2015, as the reboots fix many connectivity issues. Hopefully TP-Link will provide scheduled reboots at some point for their Deco units, but pretty much no one does that for mesh routers. 

Options
2023-02-18 05:04:44

@Richardj186 Some Decos have the ability to schedule reboots, such as the M5.  See in this link:   Deco Automatic Reboot.  Moving forward I will be doing regular reboots, but I have to remember to do this before my wife wakes up.  Being able to schedule the reboot for 3AM while we are sleeping would be very helpful.  How many routers have been sold since 2015?  How many cutomers are doing regular manual reboots?  I could use a smart plug to shut off power then turn it back on for the router, but I do not like doing hard crashes.  Is there a formal process to request a product upgrade to TP-Link?  I have always found their support to be great.

Options
2023-02-18 13:53:39

@Mesa I would schedule the reboots before 1 am or after 4 am, as the routers do automated checks for firmware updates between 1 am and 4 am. 

Tons of routers sold, but most customers don't reboot them because they don't think they need reboots; then after rebooting they're surprised how much better their network is performing after the reboot. 

I've got my Decos hooked up to Kasa smart power strips HS300, so I can schedule reboots through them, but I usually remember to do them manually. The reboot takes less than 3 minutes. 

You can request it with a post using Requested Festure as part of the title. I love their support too. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 492

Replies: 5

Related Articles