Help convince me not to return my Deco XE 75 Pro

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-21 23:35:48
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I picked up a set of 3 Deco XE75 Pro a few days ago.  I really want to like these, but I've run into two issues that I can't get around.  

The first is the DHCP server.  I run my own DHCP server, I don't want the router doing DHCP.  Is there a way to disable the DHCP server?  I know about the auto-disable, but that assumes that my DHCP server comes up before the router's does.  After something like a power failure, if the router comes up first it starts handing out IP addresses.  Then my DHCP server comes up and it doesn't know about the addresses already handed out by the router.  I need to be able to turn off the DHCP server in the router.

Secondly, I want to be able to pin down which port is the WAN port.  This is another case where the auto sense mostly works, but I need it to always work.  I'm not sure how it decides which port is the WAN, but I had one time where it thought my LAN was the WAN port and it picked up an IP address from my internal network and tried to use that as the Internet IP.

If I can solve these two things I think I can live with these routers, otherwise I need to return them to Amazon for something else.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix these two things?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Help convince me not to return my Deco XE 75 Pro
2023-12-22 02:36:48

@cmoore042 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Do you want to turn off the DHCP function when Deco XE75 pro is under Wireless Router mode or Access Point mode?

If it is under Access Point mode, with the latest 1.2.7 firmware, you could turn off "smart DHCP" on the Deco APP.

If on router mode, there hasn't been a plan to allow turning off DHCP since the network security and parental control features need Deco to work as a NAT gateway.

As for a fixed WAN port, it is already planned to be added along with future firmware upgrades.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Help convince me not to return my Deco XE 75 Pro
2023-12-22 21:27:36

@David-TP 

Hi David,

I'm running in router mode.  I'm not sure I understand the connection between DHCP and NAT.  NAT should be able to function just fine whether the router is providing DHCP service or not.  My previous router, and Orbi RBR750, has an option to turn off DHCP and NAT continues to function with not problems.

As far as the future fix for the WAN/LAN issue, that may fix my problem in the future but it doesn't help me get online today.

I think for now I'm going to have to return the Deco units and reinstall my Orbi units.  Maybe in the future I can pick up a set of Deco routers again if those shortcomings are fixed in future firmware.

Chris

Options