Need advice expanding network to another building

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-31 17:41:58 - last edited 2024-01-31 17:43:06
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

We're living in a shop while building a house - will have conduit between the two buildings later (1 yr).  But for now, we have a need to expand the wifi in the shop to and throughout the house. From corner of the shop to the nearest corner of the (attached) garage, it's 90 to 100 feet between buildings.  It is about 60+ feet from the nearest side of the house to the back side (total 150+ feet from shop to back of house).

I'm not technically literate in terms of how to design local networks.  I know we just need wifi in the house for now, hard-wired access not required.  I'd like to buy the necessary hardware and start getting things in place, but don't know what to buy.  The Archer A7 reaches the house, weakly, and whether or not it works depends on the device.

What do I look into buying? Access point at the shop, one or more mesh routers in the house?  I'd love it if the SSID stayed the same everywhere (shop and house), e.g. one expanded network, not separate networks and a bridge for example.  A friend mention 'Omada', another mentioned 'Access Point', another mentioned 'Mesh Router' ... and I'm confused.  Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks, and my apologies since I suspect that it's already been addressed here somewhere, but my first casual search didn't spot it ...

Brian

Options
7 Reply
Re:Need advice expanding network to another building
2024-01-31 21:38:41

@IdahoTaterHead 

There are few approaches to do this:

1. Omada solution using your existing A7 - details.

2. Deco system in AP mode using your existing A7 - details.

3. Easymesh router connected to your existing A7 - details.

Keep in mind that neither of these three are compatible with each other - details.

You can put a simple access point (a wireless router in AP mode) to extend the wireless coverage to your house.

In this case this won't be a mesh network even if you set the APs' SSID the same as in the A7 router.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-01-31 23:26:03

@terziyski So on Omada, I think I read that you can use software-defined controller instead of the h/w one in the image below.  Why the switch?  The router would be my A7, unless you recommend replacing it?  Why not provide cat 5/6 directly from router to Root AP? Maybe because the A7 doesn't provide PoE? Just buy a wired Root AP and a wireless Mesh AP and be done ... yes?

f16fb37d49bf4339a023f7722cdccacd

Options
2024-02-01 00:00:10

@IdahoTaterHead 

If you can run cat 6E or cat 7 between the buildings, I think a mesh system with eithernet used as a backhaul is the best for what you are doing and wanting. Use the higher cat rated cables.

Options
2024-02-01 00:11:03 - last edited 2024-02-01 00:13:10

@ArcherC8 I'm beginning to think that... just run a cat 5/6 cable in a small grey conduit from shop to house and plug it into an outdoor mesh access point at the house.  Add more mesh access points inside if necessary.  Probably need a PoE injector for the outdoor AP.  I think I can go directly from the A7 router to the Omada EAP outdoor access point at the house if I provide PoE to the AP from an injector ... yes?

Options
2024-02-01 00:38:49

@IdahoTaterHead 

I would keep it simple and just get a Mesh system such as one of the Deco systems that has ethernet backhaul and additional ethernet ports. Put one by your modem in router mode and the other  in the other location in ap mode connected via ethernet. You can add additional mesh units as needed. You should not need the POE unless you need additional ports. Your current and future internet speed may determine which Mesh system is best for you. 

Options
2024-02-01 01:00:30

@IdahoTaterHead 

Yes, you could use either HW or SW controller to build a mesh.
Keep in mind that if using SW controller you should keep the device where the controller is installed powered on.
Yes, the switch provides PoE but if you don't need a switch you can omit that - the EAPs can use a power supply adapter too.
EAPs usually have two ethernet ports for wired connections so they can be connected both via wire or wireless.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-02-02 14:53:06

@IdahoTaterHead Thanks everyone ... it's slowly gelling up in my brain a bit.  I'll think about it and then select a topology and h/w choices, then post my proposed solution here ... see what ya think.

More within a few days ...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 350

Replies: 7

Related Articles