Building a mesh network

Building a mesh network

Building a mesh network
Building a mesh network
Tuesday
Model: RE315  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.30 Build 230919 Rel.52342n (8583)

Background: Coming from an airport network, which meshed quite easily, but it was time to move on.

At the same time, my Cisco RV320 small business router conked out, so i decided to replace everything. 

Bought a ER605 router first, then a pair of RE315 APs. 

It's all running fairly well, with the 315's set as access points.

I do miss the seamless mesh, though, of the Apple Airports. Whe had three of them in the house, 2 extremes and 1 Time Capsule. 

Is it at all possible to set up a mesh network with the hardware I have?

If not, what hardware would I need to create a mesh network with remote access points being able to be wired to the main router?

Thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Building a mesh network
Yesterday

Hi @Kaenath 

Welcome to the community!

Glad to hear everything is running fairly well with the RE315s set up in AP Mode.

As for seamless mesh, the ER605 is an Omada wired router, so it doesn't support the same mesh technologies as the RE315s, which are non-Omada Range Extenders. The RE315s support OneMesh and EasyMesh options.

However, for OneMesh or EasyMesh to function, the router must also support either OneMesh or EasyMesh. In your case, unfortunately, the combination of ER605 and RE315s isn't really a suitable hardware combination for a Seamless Mesh Setup.

If you would like to stick with the ER605 as your main router, I'd suggest considering an Omada Mesh Setup using some of our Omada Access Points and an Omada Controller (required for Omada Mesh).

For example, a combination of the OC200 Omada Controller and at least a couple of EAPs from our Product List Here, in conjunction with your ER605, would provide ample business-level management while supporting seamless Mesh Wi-Fi.

If this sounds like a solution you may be interested in, check out our article here on how to build an Omada Mesh Network using the OC200 and various EAPs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 33

Replies: 1

Related Articles