Archer AX55 Pro - Consistent Router Malfunction Every Day at Same Time

2024-02-17 23:58:52
Model: Archer AX55 Pro  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20230803 rel.35127(4555)

Hello,

I'm encountering an odd issue with my Archer AX55 Pro. For the past week, at roughly the same time every evening (~22:30 GMT), my router appears to experience a malfunction of some sorts. Internet connectivity is completely lost, across all devices (wired and wireless). The router also stops being detectable within the Tether app, and trying to connect to the router via 192.168.0.1 yields no results (the page just endlessly loads before timing out). The light that indicates internet connectivity goes out during this time. The only solution is to unplug the router, wait 15 seconds, and then plug it back in, at which point it reconnects to the internet and behaves as normal (only to disconnect once again roughly 24 hours later). If I check the system logs after this, there is nothing that coincides with the time at which internet connectivity is lost.

I am certain this is not an ISP issue, and there appears to be no faults with the incoming internet connection or my ISP-provided router (which is operating in Modem mode).

This router has been in operation since 01/12/2023 (DD/MM/YYYY), and has performed flawlessly up until this last week. I noticed the firmware was out of date, and so have updated the firmware to the latest version: 1.2.2 Build 20230803 rel.35127(4555). However, this has not solved the issue, and the consistent disconnects continue to happen.

I've noticed that issues like this have been reported numerous times on this forum, for example this post: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/609452?sortDir=ASC&page=10, but these were reported some months ago. Is there any progress on this issue, or a reliable solution I can implement? Failing that, I think would have no choice but to pursue a return as the device is faulty.

If the solution presented is some sort of janky beta firmware as I've seen in many other posts reporting similar issues with the AX55, I would need some written assurance that the firmware is stable and that using it would not void warranty.

Options
14 Reply
Re:Archer AX55 Pro - Consistent Router Malfunction Every Day at Same Time
2024-08-09 12:19:59

@JBingus I also have this issue without a solution.

Every single evening at exactly 9:45pm AEST this router with direct fiber service connection will drop it's 'internet' connection (internet LED also turns off) as if the WAN connection was disconnected. I then reboot the router and it works fine again until 9:45pm the next day. 

I also have it set to reboot daily at 2am, however that hasn't solved the issue.

Archer AX55 Pro v1.0

1.3.1 Build 20240426 rel.31941(4555)

I would love to get to the bottom of this.. Thanks in advance to anyone with any ideas on why this is happening. 

Options
2024-08-12 08:16:10

@Francis_Blac 

Hello, please check my reply to your post in the following thread, and you may try to disconnect the cable between the AX55 and WPA8631P:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/609452?replyId=1396392

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-08-12 09:39:07

@Kevin_Z 

"You might encounter the same network loop as described by @ErikMih since WPA8631P doesn't support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul yet. You can try removing the cable between the AX55 Pro and the WPA8631P, then observe if the connection is stable."

Interesting, quoting the post you linked: the issue could be related to the EasyMesh function somehow interacting with old and out-of-date powerline connectors, or other devices that are not EasyMesh compatible?

Would simply disabling the EasyMesh function of the router solve this issue?

Options
2024-08-12 10:06:26

@Kevin_Z 

If its relevant here, my powerline connectors are TP-Link AV1000 2-port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Adapters. Model: TL-PA7020P (https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA7020PKIT-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-UK/dp/B014HCF6X2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8).

I can see that they are listed as "End of Life" on the tp-link website (https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa7020p-kit/).

They don't have any wifi-boositing capability whatsoever as far as i understand, so I'm not sure how it would even be possible for the router to try and use them for EasyMesh? This is also an issue that developed on my router after months and months of seamless operation using these powerline connectors (they have been connected to the router in exactly the same way since day one).

Options
2024-08-14 09:39:22

@JBingus 

JBingus wrote

@Kevin_Z 

"You might encounter the same network loop as described by @ErikMih since WPA8631P doesn't support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul yet. You can try removing the cable between the AX55 Pro and the WPA8631P, then observe if the connection is stable."

Interesting, quoting the post you linked: the issue could be related to the EasyMesh function somehow interacting with old and out-of-date powerline connectors, or other devices that are not EasyMesh compatible?

Would simply disabling the EasyMesh function of the router solve this issue?

It didn't work.

Options
2024-08-14 12:20:19

@JBingus 

I believe the issue you reported is not the same as that reported by Francis_Blac. As you already pointed out there is no wireless on the TL-PA7020P, so it won't affect the connectivity of the router when plugging the powerline adapter into one of the LAN ports of the AX55 Pro.

Please verify that your connection is like the below:

ISP modem --- (WAN) AX55 Pro (LAN) --- PA7020P === PA7020P 

Can you please verify again that the internet LED on the AX55 Pro is off or red when it disconnects from the internet? Since you reported this issue months ago, I want to make sure that you've also upgraded to the latest firmware on the AX55 Pro, which is 1.3.1 Build 20240426 now.

Have you created a reboot schedule on the AX55 Pro to reboot it manually? If not yet, please give it a go and monitor if the connection will be stable.

You may also try resetting the router to factory defaults and reconfiguring it from scratch to check if it will connect to the internet stably. 

If none of the above helps resolve the issue, we recommend reaching out to the local tech support, so they can work with you in looking into the issue further or help with the replacement.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-08-14 13:00:40 - last edited 2024-08-14 13:05:04

@Kevin_Z 

"Please verify that your connection is like the below:

ISP modem --- (WAN) AX55 Pro (LAN) --- PA7020P === PA7020P "

Verified.

"I want to make sure that you've also upgraded to the latest firmware on the AX55 Pro, which is 1.3.1 Build 20240426 now."

I updated my firmware yesterday (and suffered this same issue later in the evening). This is the information pulled from the router:

Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20240426 rel.31941(4555)

Hardware Version: Archer AX55 Pro v1.0

Firmware is up to date.

"Can you please verify again that the internet LED on the AX55 Pro is off or red when it disconnects from the internet?"

9/10 times, the lights go off as soon as the router malfunctions. Sometimes there's a slight delay, but if left the LED will eventually turn off. I have noticed on occasion that before total router malfunction it seems like ongoing connections still operate (for instance, a VoIP call) but new connections cannot be made (for instance, loading a web-page or trying to watch a video). I've no idea if that information is helpful - I'm a little out of my depth with home networking.

This morning, I looked through the routers system log to see if I could find any mention of the malfunction, and found this which roughly corresponds to when the crash occurred:

2024-08-13 23:44:02 Led Controller INFO [1105] Start to run WAN1_ON

2024-08-13 23:44:02 Led Controller INFO [1105] Start to run WAN0_OFF

2024-08-13 23:44:02 Led Controller INFO [1105] Start to run LAN_ON

"Have you created a reboot schedule on the AX55 Pro to reboot it manually?"

I have not, but this seems like a workaround for an issue that shouldn't exist in the first place. This was an expensive piece of kit, it just shouldn't be like this. If this is the only solution, then it stands to reason the device is fundamentally faulty in some way, and I'll probably just put my ISP hub back into router mode, bin the AX55 and avoid all TP-link products in the future due to shoddy QC.

"You may also try resetting the router to factory defaults"

I have already tried this, to no avail sadly.

Options
2024-08-15 03:30:24

@JBingus 

Thank you again for all the details.

If you're willing to investigate this issue further with our support engineers, I will be happy to help escalate the case to them. They may provide beta software to help locate the issue and may require some debug log from you.

Please let me know if you want to proceed.

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@JBingus 

i have the same problem for a few months now, but with an AX55. (not the pro) at same time as you aswell. the internet just dies for a few seconds every day, roughtly the same time. 

@Kevin_Z 

i would like to participate aswell, if possible.

i tried sooooo many things, nothing worked.

Options
a week ago

Critian wrote

@JBingus 

i have the same problem for a few months now, but with an AX55. (not the pro) at same time as you aswell. the internet just dies for a few seconds every day, roughtly the same time. 

@Kevin_Z 

i would like to participate aswell, if possible.

i tried sooooo many things, nothing worked.

@Critian 

Could you please provide more details about the issue you're experiencing?

1. How is the AX55 connected to the network? Are you using any powerline adapters or extenders?
  2. Who is your Internet Service Provider (ISP)?
  3. When the internet stopped working on the AX55, was the LED indicator off?
Options