Feature add to deco address reservation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-24 21:52:33

Hello! I have a set of deco xe75 pros with WiFi 6e. I've discovered that these devices or the app does not have a feature that my previous router had that allowed me to set address reservations for dhcp devices outside of the available dhcp pool. This has become very useful for separating specific devices for more important functions such as dns or a file server and giving them static addresses without having to set them directly on the devices, as that typically troublesome and time consuming if I'd like to change it. That made troubleshooting and customizing much easier. Can we have that added to the deco app?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Feature add to deco address reservation
2024-02-27 16:03:10

@Kevmac7562 

I believe you can achieve that via More, Advanced, Address Reservation.

Options
2024-02-27 17:35:36

@yves_b yes but it does not allow me to set an address outside of the main dhcp pool. I have my pool set from 100-253 and I'd like to set a device on 10, it doesn't let me do that. Hence the feature request.

Options
2024-02-27 17:48:09

@Kevmac7562 

The current feature allows giving devices static addresses without having to set them directly on the devices.

What is the expected benefit of picking addresses outside of the pool?

Options
2024-02-27 17:55:20
As I said before it lets me set devices with more important functions separate from the regular pool with all my other regular devices to be more easily identified. Windows server dhcp does this, my last two home routers did this, most other dhcp setups have this function, Deco is the first one that I’ve encounter in 20 years that doesn’t. It would be useful to advanced users who want that ability.
Options
2024-02-27 18:18:51

@Kevmac7562 

Hence the benefit of your suggestion is "easier identification".

To easily identify my fixed addresses, I pick them from the end of the pool, after configuring the pool large enough.

This is not how I work with other dhcp servers, indeed, hence the Deco is slightly less intuitive.  Not an issue for advanced users.  Sometimes it's good to break comfortable habits. 

Options
2024-02-27 18:33:36

@yves_b I'm not sure why you would be opposed to more customization of your network so that if you have a particular topology or layout you want to follow, you can do so the way you want to. No It's not necessarily an issue for advanced users but it is extremely limiting in what you can do with it to make it your own. Your responses of "just deal with it" aren't exactly constructive to the conversation that id like to have with someone from TP-link.

Now If I could separate out the dhcp server function from the router and ap part of the software, then I could run whatever dhcp server I want using any of the other implementations on whatever software I want. But alas that's not possible with the Deco software.

Options
2024-02-27 18:47:01

@Kevmac7562 

I am simply attempting to understand the actual benefits of your suggested feature, and suggesting possible ways to use the product without that feature.

Options
2024-02-28 12:13:33

@Kevmac7562 

I noticed that the app verifies, indeed, that the reserved addresses are taken from the pool.  However, once an address is reserved, it remains reserved even if the pool is modified and the address is no longer part of the pool.

This can be used to work around the missing feature.

Options