tplink deco m5 isp firmware to normal/retail firmware

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: v2.5.9

Hello

So I bought some second hand tplink deco m5 and they are ISP firmware. How do I get out of ISP firmware v2.5.9 and back to normal firm v1.7.8?
I tried downloading all the us v1,v2,v3,v3.xx and uk versions but they all fail to upgrade to the normal firmware.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:tplink deco m5 isp firmware to normal/retail firmware-Solution

@langamer101 

I have no idea if this will work since the firmware on your deco was provided by the former ISP but have you tried factory resetting the deco unit? 

To factory reset a TP-Link Deco M5 mesh router, you can press and hold the Reset button on the bottom of the device for one second: 

Press and hold the Reset button for one second 

Release the button 

You can also reset your Deco M5 through the Deco app: 

Go to the Network page in the app 

Tap the network map 

Tap the Deco unit you want to reset 

Tap the button in the top right corner 

Need help with the Deco app, setup, Ethernet backhaul, network switch or rolling back firmware? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/699816?page=1
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:tplink deco m5 isp firmware to normal/retail firmware-Solution

@langamer101 

I have no idea if this will work since the firmware on your deco was provided by the former ISP but have you tried factory resetting the deco unit? 

To factory reset a TP-Link Deco M5 mesh router, you can press and hold the Reset button on the bottom of the device for one second: 

Release the button 

Tap the network map 

Need help with the Deco app, setup, Ethernet backhaul, network switch or rolling back firmware? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/699816?page=1
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:tplink deco m5 isp firmware to normal/retail firmware

@HelpFixDecoApp 

Just tried that no good. I guess i will stick with whatever I have. Thanks for the help though.

HelpFixDecoApp wrote

@langamer101 

Release the button 

Tap the network map 

Options
3 weeks ago

@langamer101 

There "might" be another way to get this to work 

Go to https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/deco-m5/v1/#Firmware

Make sure you grab the right firmware version that matches your hardware version and unzip it. 

Enter the deco web UI by typing "tplinkdeco.net" in the browser, then go to Advanced>System>Firmware Update, click browser and select the firmware bin file, then click on upgrade.

Options
3 weeks ago

@langamer101 

This is definitely the correct answer. From the app, you can only have the system check and do an automatic Firmware upgrade. But if you log into your deco unit from a web browser; e.g. 192.168.1.1 or whatever the LAN gateway address is to the deco router, you can MANUALLY do a firmware upgrade and point to the file you have downloaded.

If this doesn't work, then it is possible that the ISP contracted with TP-LINK to provide a router with proprietary firmware. There are ways to get around it, but you're probably not going to find that answer here. You'll need to hack it.

But I would bet with 98% certainty, that you can manually install the firmware from your web browser if your deco is up and operational. If it's not operational, you can plug a laptop directly into it and get the gateway address by doing an IPCONFIG on your laptop. Then as said, log into the router and install the firmware you downloaded.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 164

Replies: 4

Related Articles