Making IFTTT trigger for smart switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Making IFTTT trigger for smart switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
54 Reply
Re:Making IFTTT trigger for smart switches
2019-07-03 13:59:42

I also want this feature.  All i want to do is:

• Turn on the light
  • Start a timer
  • Turn off the light

I'm about to reverse engineer the TP-Link api to get this to work.  Please make it avaialbe in IFTTT, everyone is asking for this feature.  Or make auto-turn off in the app 

Options
Re:Re:Making IFTTT trigger for smart switches
2019-07-08 23:54:12

Maybe you can do in the Alexa app? Of course IFTTT support would be nice, but for now, I can make that routine in Alexa

Options
Re:Re:Re:Making IFTTT trigger for smart switches
2019-07-09 00:57:27

@jhtrico1850: I don't see how you can do this with Alexa.  Am I missing it?  As far as I can see, there's no option to select any of the switches in the "When this happens" when setting up an alex routine.

I was able to find a node package online that lets me control the switches, but I would need to run it locally.  I'm thinking of building an rpi that I can run node on to do this.  It would be pretty straight forward.

Would love to do it easier though!

Options
2019-07-09 02:47:46 - last edited 2019-07-09 02:48:18

I might have misunderstood, but I was envisioning a routine where you start by

"Add action" then

"Smart Home" then

"Control device"

then the light switch on, and then

"Add action" then 

"Wait" for how long you want, then

Smart Home > Control device > light switch off

Options
2019-07-09 03:19:44
Add me to the list too. Would like that feature.
Options
2019-07-09 04:03:40 - last edited 2019-07-09 04:04:24

@jhtrico1850: i see what you're saying, but that's not what i'm trying to do.  Basically here's what I'd like:

-Someone turns on light (whether using alexa or by hitting the light switch)

The above would be the "trigger"

All i want from there is to:

-Wait 15 minues (or some configurable value)

-Turn off the light

I have this working in code, but I had to write it in node.js to do it.  As fun as that is, there really should be an ifttt trigger for a light coming on.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Making IFTTT trigger for smart switches
2019-07-20 01:14:44

Was surprised to learn after I bought and installed the switches that I can't program a switch to control a device/group/trigger ifttt hope they add this.

Was trying to be lazy, but if it's not added I'll be running wire

Options
2019-07-20 01:51:55

I either need you to allow switches to be IFTTT triggers or allow a switch to control everything in a group (including other switches - which would solve people's need for 3-way/4-way if they have neutral wires).

My need is to do a 3-way and a 4-way and I don't want to buy the 3-way kit because I have already converted my traveler wire to be a neutral at all of the boxes from when I had all Insteon. Just let me put a switch at every box, cap the load at each switch that doesn't have the load running to it, put them in a group where the switches can control the group and keep everything in sync.  If turned on at switch a, b and c also turn on. If turned off at b, a and c also turn off. In this case, only switch a actually has a load, the other switches are capped making them essentially only controllers.

I know this would help others. There is another recent post where the guy needs a 4-way and there is nothing that he can do until you add functionality to your ecosystem or extend your IFTTT integration to allow switches to be triggers.

Options
2019-07-22 22:53:13

I agree emphatically. This is a required feature for the product to make any sense. 

Options
2019-07-25 00:34:33

We have submitted this request to the smart home team.  It will be up to them and IFTTT to determine when or if smart home devices can be triggers.  In the mean time check out this article for an alternative.  Google Home also offers a similar feature.

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/stories/detail/580

Options
Related Articles