HS210 status is wrong in app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-12-26 19:24:18

Just installed a TP-Link HS210 in a circuit that had two three-way switches and a four-way switch.  I made sure to install the HS210 to replace the first three-way which was fed with power from the circuit breaker.  Electrically everything works fine, I can turn the lights on and off from any switch and can turn them on from a given switch and off from another switch fine with no problem.  The issue is that from the Kasa app and from the Alexa app I cannot tell the status of the lights.  Both apps show the status of the light as off even though it is on.  When I click the icon to turn on it turns green for a second and the light physically turns on but shortly afterwards the icon goes grey even though the light is on.  In Alexa when I turn it on it will go on and the icon goes green but then the icon in a few seconds shows off - it will over 20 seconds or so switch a few times between on and off and then will stay at off even though the lights are on.

Options
13 Reply
Re:HS210 status is wrong in app
2018-12-26 19:48:03
Called support and they had me delete the Kasa app on my iPhone and reinstall it. Once I did all is fine in both the app AND in the Alexa app. Very strange, but it fixed things.
Options
2019-12-06 20:45:51

Having the exact same problem. Reinstalled the app and still nothing. 

Options
2019-12-11 20:37:03

@OuterLimit I have the same problem.  In my case there is a small leakage current on the traveler that keeps the small LED buld that is being controlled very dimly lit.  It seems to be enough current however, for the switch to think the light is ON.  (I've deduced the only way for the HS-210 to know if the light is off or on is to measure the current in its two travelers since it can't know the state of the other 3-way switch.  Current flowing = ON, No current flowing = OFF).   Looking for a fix.  None of my other HS-210's seem to have that problem with LED lights.

Options
2019-12-31 21:14:41

@OuterLimit I also had the same problem in the original post.  I had a 3-way / 4-way / 3-way circuit.  I replaced the 3-way switch on the line side, but it would always think the light was off.  I tried swapping out the smart switch, but the other one behaved the same.  Once I replaced the second 3-way switch with the other smart switch, it was properly detecting the status of the light.  Even flipping the dummy 4-way switch will toggle the status correctly.  I was under the impression that you only needed one smart switch, but I was only able to get it to work with both.

Options
2019-12-31 21:50:33

@keifer 

Appreciate the reply and ended up with the same solution. Once I added the second switch all was good. Only thing I could think was a dumb motion sensor sharing the common line leaking power. 

Few days later did another room with a four way (no motion sensor) and everything worked great with a single 210.

Options
2022-01-03 23:24:53 - last edited 2022-01-03 23:29:03

@kirbinster 
I just installed mine on the first switch in the circuit (that gets the hot line) and it works manually as expected. I realized the power indicator in the app will always revert to off after several seconds regardless of how it was last toggled. Then I realized, the switch has no way of knowing whether the power to the lights themselves is on or off, since it is always routing power either through traveler 1 or traveler 2, and depending on how the other switches in the circuit are set the lights may be on or off. So I think the real solution of placing another 3-way smart switch on the final switch in the circuit (what actually feeds the lights) is what tells the app the actual power state to the lights, which is why some people have said that adding the second switch fixed their issues.

Options
2022-01-10 03:45:17

@FatalBert 

I am struggling with this setup myself.  I know electrical and have 4 HS210s on 4 light circuits.  2 work fine in the app, the other 2 do mot.  The two that do not work have long traveler lenghts (75ft+). If I take a short length of wire and instsll a fimb 3 way switch with. light the switch and app detects state correctly.  What I have noticed is even with just the travelers connected to the HS 210 with nothing on the other end I see 60volts on one of the traveler terminals.  When I flip the switch state it reverses.

Other people have mentioned the way the HS210 is detecting current draw to know state might be flowed.  

I have to say "alexa switch x light".  I can't say on or off because it doesn't actually know the state of the circuit.

I hope they can fix this with a firmware update.  I have tried using two hs210s on the circuit with no change.

Options
2022-04-08 15:14:38

@Gjeff80 did you try with different loads? the line length issue is intriguing. I assumed my one that works perfectly was because it's an all-LED circuit. I do have one other circuit I'm pretty sure is also short, and it has problems (always thinks it's OFF, 60v on traveller). The only commonality between the 3 circuits that didn't work right that isn't common to the other circuit that does, is the load being incandescent bulbs versus LEDs. 

I'm curious to test the *frequency* on the 60V - wondering if it's a low-frequency pulse versus actual power (that would cause a light to be on (dimly) all the time). Can't find my multimeter that has a frequency tester.

Options
2022-08-04 19:10:31 - last edited 2022-08-04 19:12:12

I had the same issue right after installation.  
Once I restarted the device, it is showing status correctly.  There is a small restart button right under the switch.  

I installed only one side where line(power) comes in.  

Options
2022-08-26 21:18:23

@kirbinster I have the same issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3811

Replies: 13

Related Articles