Is TP-Link HS200 right switch that suits my current switch design

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-12-31 17:30:36

I have 3 switch panel: 

From left to right

Switch 1:  Controls the outside lights. There is only one switch no other switch in the house or garage controls the outside light.

Switch 2: Controls the chandelier. Behaves same as switch 1, no other switch in the house controls the chandelier.

Switch 3: Controls the hallway lights. There are two other switches in the hallway that controls the same lights.

I want to replace switch 1 with TP-Link HS200. However, there is one red wire coming from box it is wrapping around switch 1 then going to switch 2 and then to switch 3.

Now here is what I was thinking and need some expert advice as I am new to this:

• if I can somehow manage to take the same red wire part that is connecting to switch 1, connect that to HS200 Black wire 1.
  • Yellow wire connect that to HS200 black wire 2
  • HS200 white wire to white wires connected in the box.

This switch box doesn't have ground wire and I checked other switches that control the hallway lights they also don't have ground wire. They just have a bunch of orange wires. Is it okay to leave the ground wire as is? I bought a small green color ground wire from home depot, but I don't where I should connect to in the box. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Is TP-Link HS200 right switch that suits my current switch design
2019-01-01 19:34:08

@zukaa 

For switch one, yes

For switch two, maybe as long as the chandelier is not controled by a remote control or  has a dimmer function.

For Switch three,  No if there are other switches that control the lights then an HS210 would be needed.

Keep in mind for the HS200 the live and load wires have to be seperate.  You would need to make sure that three of the 4 wires (live, Load, and neutral) are present.  Based on the image it iooks like you have the neutral (white) and a Live (red) wire. If the Orange wire is another live/load wire then you will be able to use our Smart Switch products.  If there is only one live/load wire avaiable you would not be able to.

Best Regards

CArl | TP-Link Support

Options
Re:Re:Is TP-Link HS200 right switch that suits my current switch design
2019-01-04 14:58:46 - last edited 2019-01-04 15:02:25

I was able to install the switch using the above-mentioned points. Kasa app is easy to use and the smart switch is not interfering with other switches in the box that controls other lights in the hallway.

• I took the red wire part that is connecting to switch 1, connected to HS200 Black wire 1.
  • A yellow wire connected to HS200 black wire 2
  • HS200 white wire to white wires connected in the box
  • Green (Ground) wire I left as is, put a cap on it

Lastly, carefully inserted all wires and switches back in the box.

I did make sure to turn off the circuiter breaker switch that controls this box before touching the wires. Before putting the wires and switches back, I turned on the breaker switch to make sure the new smart switch and other switches were working fine.

Thank you

Options