HS210 3 way switch constantly disconnects from wifi every day or two

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-09 05:48:43

I have 4 of these installed and on one particular switch I find it blinking green amber and not connected to the wifi network every day or 2. Really annoying to have to reconfigure it all the time. I updated to latest firmware and also tried connecting to a different router and it gives the same problem

Any ideas?

Options
12 Reply
Re:HS210 3 way switch constantly disconnects from wifi every day or two
2019-01-09 17:20:17

Hi,

If you're experiencing occasional network drops on the device(s), we first recommend checking its signal strength within the Kasa Smart app. To do so, please select the device from the devices menu, then tap its Device Settings menu icon (top-right), and scroll down to the signal strength area. Ideally, the reading should be no less than -70dBm.

If the signal is within the ideal range and you're still experiencing these symptoms, please ensure your Kasa Smart app is up to date, then check for, and apply any availble firmware updates using the steps in our FAQ here.

Bear in mind the HS210 connects via 2.4GHz WiFi, which in some environments can be severely congested, leading to less than ideal reliability for devices using this band. To help remedy 2.4GHz WiFi congestion, we recommend adjusting the 2.4GHz WiFi channel setting on your router to select a channel that is least congested in your area. You can typically determine which channels are the most congested by using a common WiFi analyzer app on your smartphone.

Regards,

Ryan | TP-Link Support

Options
Re:Re:HS210 3 way switch constantly disconnects from wifi every day or two
2019-01-09 19:11:06

Thanks

this switch has -56 as the strength.

and it is the closest switch to my router compared to the other 3 that dont lose connectivity.

I'll try the wifi analyzer app. other than that any other ideas?

Options
Re:Re:Re:HS210 3 way switch constantly disconnects from wifi every day or two
2019-01-09 23:28:28

@kenfused 

That signal reading sounds just fine. If you have other HS210 units in the home, that are further from the router than the unit in question, and they aren't exhibiting these symptoms, we would still recommend adjusting your router's 2.4GHz WiFi channel settings and monitor for improvement.

However, if the symptoms persist, even after you've updated the device's firmware and tried another router, we would recommend contacting our Support Team directly using one of the options here to verify warranty eligibility. Your HS210 comes with a 2-year warranty, and our support agents would be more than happy to help you.

Regards,

Ryan | TP-Link Support

Options
2020-10-13 19:49:21

Has this been resolved?

I am having a similar issue. I have 2 of these HS210 devices that every couple of days or so drops off the WiFi. The error is a red WiFi symbol on the switch and shown as offline in the Kasa app. Pressing restart brings these units back online within seconds. It seems if I find one of the devices are offline, they both are. Both are Hardware version 1.0 with Firmware 1.5.8 (no further firmware updates available). The devices are within inches of each other on either sides of a wall.

Within inches or the same gang of the HS210 devices, I have a couple of HS220 devices which are always online and WiFi connected. They do not exhibit the issue the HS210 device do.

Thanks.

Options
2020-10-21 21:49:00

@JasonGz 

I'm having the exact same issue. And it seems like it only popped up over the last 2-3months. I gave both switches a static IP in the router and their signal is -37 dBm. Hit the reset button and they connect instantly. Very frustrating. Happening with two H210 switches, hardware version 1.0 and firmware 1.5.8.

Options
2020-11-12 13:58:01 - last edited 2020-11-12 13:59:18

I'm having the same issue, only it's a couple of times a day — not every few days. I just ordered a slew of these 210s, and installed the first one yesterday. Worked fine for a few hours, then dropped the signal. Reconfigured before going to bed, and the signal was dropped again by the time I woke up. Signal strength is -42 dbm, so... no issues there. Google Mesh WiFi, with "Great" signal strength throughout the house. Hardware version 2.0. Firmware updated to the latest (1.1.4) when I first connected. No option on the Google system for changing the 2.4 ghz channel... it claims it automatically seeks out the channel with the least congestion. What gives? Should I return all of these and go with another brand?

Options
2020-11-27 17:43:37

Same problem. 6 other KASA switches work OK but this one keeps going back to orange-green flash as if the reset button was hit. Everything up to date and WIFI signal is strong. Looking like a defective switch.

Options
2021-01-25 21:11:42

@kenfused Was there ever any resolution to this? I have 3 HS210 switches I have installed over the past 18 months. They control three different lights in three parts of the house..

About two months ago the oldest which was installed 18 months ago started dropping WIFI about once a week. It was flawless up to that time. It has gotten progressively worse and now will not stay connected more than 3 or 4 hours. 

About two weeks ago the one installed 8 months ago started dropping WIFI about once a week. It was flawless up to that time. It has gotten progressively worse and now will not stay connected more than 3 or 4 hours. 

The one I installed 1 month ago has never dropped WIFI.

I also have 15 other TPLink devices installed that work flawlessly including KP400, HS200 and HS103. All of my devices show they have the latest firmware. The two HS210 that keep dropping both have signals hovering around -52 dBm. I have tried these devices on DHCP and fixed IP's. No difference. I have a healthy WIFI network. It consists of a Ubiquiti USG Pro and three Ubiquiti AP AC Pro wireless access points. Nothing else on my network ever experiences a problem and nothing has recently changed on my network. Also if you are familiar with the Ubiquity management software you know i can see traffic and stats on everything. Nothing is out of whack. All three of the HS210 hit different access points based on location and not by design. I have disabled all the access points one at a time to force a connection to a different one. It made no difference. The two switches both failed in the same approximate time period. (I feel like the third switch that has only been in a couple of months is a ticking time bomb). 

Pushing the reset button for about a second on the lower right side of the switch will cause it to reconnect to the network. But 3-4 hours later we are in the same down state with the WIFI icon on the switch flashing green. It will not reconnect unless you hit the reset. 

At this point I truly feel like something is wroing with the HS210 switches. Particularly since I have never experiences any problems with my other TPLink devices. I would really like to know if anyone who experienced this issue actually found a resolution. Thank you.

Options
2021-01-25 21:22:32

@hajeff No. After TP Link "Technical Support" tried to jerk me around for more than a week (they were less than useless), I finally turned to Amazon who promptly sent me a replacement that has been working fine. It was just a bum switch, but TP Link didn't want to own up to it... and tried to make me jump through hoops to get a replacement from them. They wanted me to send it the bad one in BEFORE they would send me a replacement... leaving me without even a manual switch to use. Amazon shipped me the replacement, and I sent the bum one back in the same carton. No fuss, no muss. TP Link could learn a thing or two from Amazon.

Options
2021-03-19 00:41:08

@Ryan what does "no less than -70dbm" mean? The negative sign makes this ambiguous. My reading is -36 dbm. Do I have a problem with WiFi connection?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 12255

Replies: 12