M5 Deco Access Point Mode blocking XBOX ONE game invites, party invites, etc?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-10 02:09:48 - last edited 2019-03-10 02:11:15
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20181106 Rel.48798

The issue: When the Deco wireless network is on, the XBOX ONE works perfectly except for one really important item. We don't receive game invites, party invites, or any other notifications. Messages still come through but have to be manually checked vs a pop-up notification. We spent a good 4 hours on the phone with Microsoft troubleshooting and only discovered the Deco connection accidently -  by unplugging the M5s as a last resort.

• 3 M5 Deco mesh in Access Point mode.
  • Arriss modem courtesy of my cable company.
  • XBOX ONE is hardwired into the modem and set to a manual IP configuration outside the DHCP scope.
  • Wireing enabled through a pair of Extollo Ethernet Powerline LANSocket 1500
  • The XBOX ONE has wireless turned off.
  • Prior to adding the M5 units, everything worked.

Since I discovered this, as a fail safe, I have forwarded the appropriate TCP and UDP ports to the XBOX IP addresses. Still no luck even after resetting the entire network.

It doesnt make any sense to me since the XBOX is on the wired network directly into the modem. Im not sure what the M5 could be doing to suppress whatever service is related to the party and game invites.

Thanks for any suggestions

Options
7 Reply
Re:M5 Deco Access Point Mode blocking XBOX ONE game invites, party invites, etc?
2019-03-12 16:52:27

@DdR When you set up the Deco units as AP mode, the security features on the devices are disabled. So it wouldn't have a means to block, and since you are not even connecting through it makes it very odd. I assume your Xbox and Deco are both wired to the Arris modem which is also a router?

If invites are not reaching the Xbox, then the router (Arris) is probably routing the invites elsewhere then to the Xbox. 

Options
Re:Re:M5 Deco Access Point Mode blocking XBOX ONE game invites, party invites, etc?
2019-03-17 18:18:20
I agree. That's why this doesnt make sense to me. I've restarted the entire network to see if that has any impact. We just tested it again this morning to see and, sure enough, turning off the wireless, the invites started showing up. Thanks for the response and the confirmation that Im not crazy.
Options
Re:M5 Deco Access Point Mode blocking XBOX ONE game invites, party invites, etc?
2019-05-20 14:18:50

Has anyone found a solution to this? I can confirm that in my environment here (multiple XBox One consoles, Deco M5 with 3 units using Access Point Operating Mode we have the same issue.

Anyone sending an invitation from one console to another, the receiving console will refuse to display the notification until it is unplugged from the network. (We only use wired connections for the consoles in here).

There is something causing the console to queue the notifications which are not timing out until AFTER the console is disconnected from the network.

We are running the Deco M5 with versions 1.2.8 Build 20190403 Rel. 40244

DHCP is provided by a Windows server on my network which is also the local DNS server.

Options
2019-05-24 01:53:53

@DdR 

From your description, we still can't have an intuitive impression of your network topology. If you can draw your network topology directly, it will be of great help for us to help you locate the problem. The network topology should include modem, Deco units, Xbox consoles, switch and anything else in your network and plz tell us how they are connected(via Ethernet cable or wirelessly).

Second question, you said "turning off the wireless, the invites started showing up.", do you mean that the Wi-Fi function of Deco is turned off but it is still connected to the Modem?

Options
Re:Re:Re:M5 Deco Access Point Mode blocking XBOX ONE game invites, party invites, etc?
2019-05-30 03:30:41

Could you please try the beta firmware that we developed for your case? I have uploaded the firmware and local installation guide to the link below:

http://support.tp-link.com/f/4346f56ff4/?dl=1http://support.tp-link.com/f/4346f56ff4/?dl=1

Please do as the installation guide to upgrade the beta firmware. Please email me(fredrick.fei@tp-link.com) if you have any difficulty during the installation.

DdR wrote

I agree. That's why this doesnt make sense to me. I've restarted the entire network to see if that has any impact. We just tested it again this morning to see and, sure enough, turning off the wireless, the invites started showing up. Thanks for the response and the confirmation that Im not crazy.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:M5 Deco Access Point Mode blocking XBOX ONE game invites, party invites, etc?
2019-07-09 01:57:19

This is a good firmware.
The notification problem was resolved.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:M5 Deco Access Point Mode blocking XBOX ONE game invites, party invites, etc?
2020-11-06 18:36:35

@RYO 

Hi, I have the same issue with deco m9 plus, running firmware 20200921. Should this issue be resolved in this version?

Best regards, Punkske

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4904

Replies: 7