Three-Way Dimming?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Three-Way Dimming?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Three-Way Dimming?
Three-Way Dimming?
2019-03-13 18:17:23

I'd like to replace my office light switches with TP-Link smart switches. My current lighting has two 3-way switches (one outside the office, one inside). The inside switch is a dimmer, so I can adjust lighting. Can I replicate this setup? I can only find 3-way kits and dimmer switches - can they be used together somehow or is there some other solution?

Options
14 Reply
Re:Three-Way Dimming?
2019-03-13 21:04:16

@mws 

Hi,

Currently, we do not have a 3-Way+Dimming solution for Smart Light Switches that can replicate your current setup. While we do offer separate 3-Way (HS210 Kit) and Dimmer (HS220) Smart Light Switches, they cannot be used together to form a 3-Way + Dimmer scenario. We appreciate your feedback, and we'll share your interest in this type of product with the appropriate team. You can also leave feedback directly within the Kasa Smart app under Home -> About -> Feedback.

Thank you,

Ryan | TP-Link Support

Options
2019-12-02 16:14:41

i had a same question on this now sort out thanks.

Options
2019-12-09 05:28:23

@mws

Is this still a 'No' or are there now 3-way dimmer capabilities. I've read in Nov 2019 that it is available but did not see a new model number. 

Why can't we hook-up one of the HS210 switches with an HS220 switch?

Options
2019-12-11 20:42:07

@MotoGPPlus I installed a HS-210 at the end with the HOT lead and a dumb 3-way switch with dimmer at the LOAD end.   Works just fine.   I have LED bulbs in a fisxture above dinning table.  THe HS-210 always has full power to run its smarts and just sees the dimmer as part of the load.

Options
2020-02-29 18:50:53

Hoping for the same thing, smart 3-way dimming switch. Any plans for this soon? Hate to have to switch over to a different smart switch system to get this. 

Options
2020-03-10 15:09:31

@Jamen will this only work with the HS-210 on the live side of the circuit? I have a 3-gang with 2 other HS-210 devices and I like the look of the 3 TP-link switches next to each other. Whenever the dumb dimmer is used, eventually the wifi on the HS-210 drops off and the device resets itself causing the lights to flicker. 

Options
2020-03-12 11:28:36
Yes, otherwise you are starving the smart switch of the power it needs internally to function when you dim the lights
Options
2020-11-08 06:28:15

@Jamen so hoping you can clarify here.  Does the tp link have smart dimmer switch capability in this set up?  Basically have a to link 3 way switch and a to link dimmer set up?  If so, how did you config the single pole smart dimmer switch?  Thanks in advance, it kills me that there is no tp link 3 way dimmer switch. 

Options
2020-11-14 15:49:42

@Jamen 

Hello Jamen,

Can you please provide a diagram for installing 3-Way (HS210 Kit) and Dimmer (HS220) Smart Light Switch on the same circuit.

Options
2021-03-05 19:18:06

@Sweetpete I know this is a few months behind but I just ran into this and found this forum. I have not tried it with a dimmer to dimmer yet, but I have used a "smart action" to control my smart plug with the dimmer switch. I am going to order another dimmer switch to try this with. Basically you wire one on the main side of the light and then just power the second switch and wirenut the load wire. This is how you do it with Insteon switches eccept they are made to do this in the app easily by linking switches to each other. (which I prefer but wanted to try these because they are half the price)

If you have two dimmers on a three way set up you could give this a shot. May or may not do dimming. I don't know for sure since my plug is only on/off.

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 13913

Replies: 14

Related Articles