HS210 3 way swtich install question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-20 16:37:44
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a hallway with a 3-way switch at each end of the hallway. I purchased HS210 to replace the conventional 3-way switches.

I plan to replace just one of the 3-way switch with HS210 as I want to use the second HS210 in a different location.

So I watched few youtube videos and read some tutorials and all seems to indicate there is no way to identify the "master" 3-way switch in my hallway. 

So is it purely trial and error? What I mean is do I install HS210 at the beginning of hallway and see if it works properly and if not replace the one at the end of the hallway?

It seems to me there must be a better way to identify which existing 3-way switch to replace with HS210?!

Thanks in advance.

Options
4 Reply
Re:HS210 3 way swtich install question
2019-03-20 17:16:23

@next_milenium 

Honestly there really isn't.  I mean maybe an electrian could but we couldn't tell you.   You see in a 3-way enviroment one switch holds power and one hold the load.  If you install the HS210 on the Load side you will have to leave the manual switch in a static "On" postion.  Otherwise the HS210 will not work.  I am actually in this situation myself.  Unfortunatly for me I have to leave my "Main" switch on as its in my garage and the HS210 is upstairs in my Condo.  

Options
Re:Re:HS210 3 way swtich install question
2019-03-20 17:33:30

Thanks for reply Carl.

So if I, by trial and error, install HS210 on the "power" side instead of the "load" side, then I can operate the lights with the manual switch as well, correct? I won't have to leave the manual switch in "On" position for the HS210 to work properly, right?

Thanks.

Options
Re:Re:Re:HS210 3 way swtich install question
2019-03-21 18:53:52

@next_milenium 

That's the infromation we have be given by the design teams.  If the HS210 is on the "Power" side of the 3 way, then either switch can operate the lights manually and well as the HS210 providing app and voice control (Voice assistant required).

Best Regards 

Options
Re:HS210 3 way swtich install question
2019-05-07 01:34:16

A few details you can use in this situation, not to be attempted by those without some experience with electrical work.

You can determine the line from the load 3 way switch with a meter a few moments of work.

Make sure the light controlled by the switches is currently off.

Pull the switch out of the box

Use a meter to read the voltage between the common screw and the neutral (white) or ground wire. If it reads 120V (us) or 220V (other places) you are on the line side.  If it reads 0 you are on the load side.

The line side being the "master" and the one you will need for power to the switch to make the wifi work properly regardless of the other switch position.

Now onto the other thing you can do which again, should not be done without some expereince.

You need a neutral because the switch always need power to maintain WiFi.  In the US (don't know about other places) most homes are what is know as neutral/ground.  What it means is the neutral bus in your breaker box is attached to the box, just like the ground bus, making them effectively equal. Now all the electricians in the audience will have a fit, but it is true.  Some situations you will have an isolated ground circuit, and the outlets should be orange, hospitals computers centers etc often have it.

So why is that important?  You can put your white wire and your green wire from the switch on the same bare copper ground wire in the box and Voila! It will work.

Again, don't hurt yourself, if this does not make sense ask an electrician.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2010

Replies: 4