3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-09-20 23:07:16

@Carl I don't like the idea of a sticker. I suspect it would look cheap and not hold up. Other manufactures offer in various colors that are made from colored resin.

Options
2021-09-21 16:00:21

Hello all

I would simply like to share that I am another user who is having the issue where the lights dim and shut off with the KS230 kit. I have two kits installed and it was a hassle getting them in and luckily they are in a room that is being renovated and as such isn't used frequently so I'm not going to pull them out until I get an official update from @Carl or the engineering team he's in contact with.

In my opinion it does seem like a firmware update will resolve this. The initial calibration process doesn't seem to behave normally, and that could be the cause. Also, when using the in-app instructions for physical installation, the app does not inform you how to install the satellite switch at all, which is odd because the satellite switch is the switch with the most unique wiring. After installing the Main switch the tutorial just ends. All of these factors lead me to believe that yes, we are trying to install and use a software-based product before it has officially launched and had it's day 1 update. I remain hopeful. Time will tell if that is naivety or not.

@Carl, Thank you for your input and updates. I look forward to reading your future updates.

Options
2021-09-22 17:06:53

I received my 3 way dimmer from Amazon a couple of days ago.  I paid $50 for it. I see listings for $100. Now I'm wondering if I should return it and wait for the official product release.

What is the selling price going to be?

Options
2021-09-22 17:07:15

@SteveSJ 

Oh I completely understand, however often other manufactures are using OEMs to produce their products.  Because of this they are more flexible on color pallets that are used in their branding.  TP-Link does virtually all of our products in house, with to my knowledge very few products being made through OEM.  Because of this manufacturing costs are defiantly more of a factor.   

For instance we used to sell several of our powerline products as one unit packages, rather than the "starter kit".  The big problem with that was that because you need at least 2 units for powerline to work these single unit kits did not sell well.  The cost outwieghed the benefit and we stopped selling the majority fo the single unit packs.  For light switches and our in-wall outlet products that is basically the same factor we consider.  If there is enough demand for other switch colors then we would of course give the customers what they want.  But until we see enough demand I can't say this would be something we would see any time soon  One thing I would ask is that you create a thread here  This creates a permanent thread for your request and a place where more than just the few we have gotten can chime in.  This could give your request the visiblity and response it needs to move the neddle in your favor. 

Options
2021-09-22 17:08:28

@Pantherbait 

If those listings are not directly from Amazon itself they are not offical listings.  Right now only Amazon will be selling the product officially.  That price should be the genuine article.  

Options
2021-09-22 17:21:18

Hello everyone,

So here is the update.  Our Headquaters is sending our QA team units to test locally as they also test there.  Testing may take up to 2-weeks before solution is provided.  I have asked for this to be expidited as much as possible, but finding the actual issue may take some time.  We will be delaying official launch until this solution is found, after all it makes no sense to launch a product with a critcal issue such as this.  

I understand that this may put some of you outside the return window for Amazon.  Because of that I have request and have had approved special actions from TP-Link directly.  Normally TP-Link does not provide refunds or accept returns, as primarly we are not involved in the sale of the product.  Retailers maintain their own inventory and are responsible for the sale of the product.  This is a unique issue though.  For some of you the product released early and It is kind of good that it did because if this had happened on an official and full launch the ramifications would be worse.  What TP-Link will do is this:  1.  We ask that you hold off of requesting a return from Amazon.  We are sure that this is software related and can provide a solution 2.  Once we do If you are outside of the Amazon return window and are not statisfied with the product or solution provided TP-Link will issue you a return label and a refund of the purchase price of the product.  We feel this is the right thing to do considering the demand for this product and the unfortunate concern this error has created.  If you have any concerns you can place them here or email us at ussupportteam@tp-link.com

Options
2021-09-22 17:27:15

@Carl 

Thank you for the update.

You may also want to sync up with the team that runs the chat tech support as that may be peoples first place of contact on this issue. I have reached out to them while concurrnetly posting on this forum and they appear unaware of the conversations taking place here.

Options
2021-09-22 18:10:18

@BlueSuitRiot 

thank you.  They should have been made aware of this already.  I will make sure that this is reiterated.

Options
2021-09-24 16:27:12

New Day, new update.  

I hear back from our engineering team.  They plan on having a beta firmware ready to deploy early next week.  They are looking for before Oct 1st.  Before that they would like to collect as many MAC addresses as possible from users who have experienced this concern.  To find your MAC address open the Kasa app, tap of the device then tap on the settings cog.  From there tap on device info and scroll to the bottom.  

Now since the MAC address is also know as your device's physical address I would not recommend sharing it publicly.  instead send them to USsupportteam@tp-link.com.  In this email please include the email address associated to your Kasa account.  This way we have an easier way of pairing the two together.  

Also to get a better understanding of the environment they have asked for the following questions to be included as well.

1. Could you please tell us the distance between your two KS230?

2. Could you please take a picture for the electric wires inside the wall if possible.

3. Could you please share the model or retailer link for the dimmable bulbs you are using with the KS230?

4. Could you please tell us that if there are any other electric appliances, like a washer or dryer, etc. on the same circuit the KS230 is on?

Thank you everyone.  

Options
2021-09-24 17:07:17

@Carl Thanks, Carl.

By "same circuit", do you mean the same circuit breaker?

Options
Related Articles