3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-09-24 18:41:23

@Paul92029 

Hi Paul, yes basically any appliance tht shuts off when you flip the breaker switch tied to the 3-way run.  Not 100% sure why they need that but likley to better understand the load of the cirucit and to see if there is any corolation between that and the concern that has arisen from this. Once I know more I would gladly share that information, as I believe in not only being transparent but also painting a full picture for our valued customers to understand how this happened and how its been resolved. 

Options
2021-09-24 20:18:01

@Carl 

1. Thank you for being super commutative and keeping us up to date.

2. I can not wait to use mine. I've been waiting for a long time for these.

3. I have 2 sets I got on Amazon as pre orders. Is the issue with them on every single one sold or random ones? I want to install mine but they are going in our kitchen and need to work. Should I try or wait for the update?

Thanks again for everything.

Options
2021-09-25 00:05:44

@EricDG 

Hi Eric,

I can't say for sure, about 350 units sold early.  While we have not recieved feedback from every user that bought them, what we have reieved is enough to present a concern and need a resolution.  Since you plan to install in a vital area like your kitchen I error on the side of cuation and waint to install them.  At least until we have a solution to test.

Options
2021-09-25 19:20:04

Following. I've really been looking forward to this release. Hopefully in time to install in our new home that's currently being built. 

Options
2021-09-26 21:46:44

@Carl 

FWIW: Assuming the KS230 is using a PLC technology as it appears (if not, let me know and I'll delete this post as misinformation), the following is from a troubleshooting guide for an energy monitoring device (https://www.theenergydetective.com/downloads/issue1.pdf) that uses power line communications:

There are several things that can cause communication problems:
a) Noise on the power line. Today’s homes usually contain numerous devices capable of producing
noise on the power line. These include fluorescent lights and ballasts, halogen lights, UPS backup
power supplies, unfiltered dimmer switches, and fan speed controls and A/C–D/C power supplies
for fax machines, computers, televisions, printers, WiFi devices, and numerous other electronic
products.
b) Faulty wiring can cause large resistance in the power lines between the Gateway and MTU. This
problem is frequent in older homes, homes with aluminum wiring, and homes where the wiring path
from the MTU to the Gateway is long.
c) Devices on the power line that absorb communication signals. These include surge-protecting plug strips,
TVSS devices, power factor correction capacitors, and power supplies containing large capacitors.

Hopefully the above can help customers identify "stuff" that may contribute to the problem.

FWIW2: Depending upon the PLC technology used, the troublesome stuff may not need to be on the same circuit breaker.  Intellon has a white paper mostly on point: http://www.sws.cz/prod_img/digitus/plccrossphase.pdf

Options
2021-09-27 12:53:17

All of that is true and may be at a neighbor house sharing the same step down transformer.

Things that also share the Power Line Communication sphere are:

solar panel micro inverters (enphase)

X10 switches and controls

Plug in lan extenders 

plug in intercoms

and more

Options
2021-09-28 02:55:36 - last edited 2021-10-18 00:52:48

Good Evening everyone.

This was too important not to sign on after hours and provide.  Engineering has provided me with a beta firmware, that they hope will solve this concern for everyone.

Here is the link:  https://static.tp-link.com/upload/beta/2021/202109/20210928/Upgrade_Instruction_KS230(US)1.0_fixed_auto_dim_issue.zip

I will be on PTO tomorrow  but my fellow admins and engineers will be monitoring this thread so please feel free to leave your feed back and hopefully success here.  You can tag me or @TP-Link  @Kevin_Z or @Solla-topee 

Thank you 

Options
2021-09-28 03:26:33

@Carl 

Fabulous! Just installed and tested, and so far so good with firmware 1.0.9! I will leave the lights on full for a while to see if there are any disruptions, but so far it is behaving perfectly without any of the shutting off at higher brightness settings. Great work to your devs in resolving this so quickly, and thanks for keeping the attention on this, Carl.

As stated before, previously, mine would shut off at around 40 or 50% dimming or higher. And now they work exactly as expected, showing Firmware 1.0.9 on the app after the Windows 10 upgrade tool was run. Hopefully we can get some good solid early success so that it can be rolled out to the main app updater for an easier upgrade.

CC: @TP-Link  @Kevin_Z  @Solla-topee 

Options
2021-09-28 04:06:21

@BaumSquad @Carl 

Thanks for the update! I also tried the new firmware and in my brief testing, it seems the issue is resolved for me as well! Lights stay on, dimming works as intended, and both switches are fully functional.

Excellent turnaround time in my opinion. Thanks for getting this fixed in such a short time!

Options
2021-09-28 13:42:52

@Carl , @TP-Link , @Kevin_Z , @Solla-topee 

This is not working for me.  The PC I'm using is a work computer, so there are likely security restrictions that are preventing the scan from finding my devices.

The instructions mention that a MAC version of the upgrade tool exists.  Can someone please post the MAC version?  Alternatively, can this simply be posted to the app?

Please advise.  Thanks, Rich

Options
Related Articles