3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-09-28 15:06:30

Hi @Carl

I've had my switches for weeks, but was waiting on the thumbs-up from you.  I installed the kit this morning with minimal effort since I was replacing existing Lutron multi-location dimmers.  The installation was flawless with one exception.  Because the switch shipped with the older firmware, the setup process asked to calibrate the switch first.  My lights went to full bright and then immediately dimmed to off like everyone else's.  Then I was stuck on a "broken" calibration screen.  The lights wouldn't adjust or come on at all.  I was finally able to skip the calibration step and move to updating the firmware which worked fine.  Now the switches work perfectly and I was able to go back and do the calibration.  It seems to me that the uninitiated and those unaware of the firmware issue will be very confused and assume the switch is bad if they continue to ship with the original firmware.  I would suggest sending an installer update that prompts to update the firmware first before moving on to a final calibration step. Just my two cents.

Thanks for your support and communication.  Few companies would have anyone this dedicated on the front lines.  I'm glad I switched to TP-Link and that I waited patiently for the 3-way dimmers.  How about motion sensors now so I can get rid of all of my Lutron switches?  :)

Options
2021-09-28 15:20:38

@Connu Uh.. here.. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-kasa-wifi-smart-motion-activated-dimmer-light-switch-white/6458057.p?skuId=6458057&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=467&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1268652&gclid=CjwKCAjw-sqKBhBjEiwAVaQ9a34ayQQmepAyPwq840VVac3M8o3SevhCW-cEMB5LQqnqxxzs3rao2RoClKAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Options
2021-09-28 15:44:47 - last edited 2021-09-28 15:46:33

@echo954,

Sorry, I meant a 3-way dimmer & motion switch.  The Lutron switches aren't really 3-way either (you can buy a companion switch separately), but they work with a dumb 3-way switch on the other end which is nice for turning off and then on to the default dimmer setting rather than capping the leads off.  I haven't tried this with the TP-Link motion dimmer, but I assumed it wouldn't work in that configuration. @Carl?

Options
2021-09-28 17:27:47

@Hildebr287 Does your work computer have a VPN to your work?  If yes, can you disable this and try again?

Paul

Options
2021-09-28 18:04:04

Hi @Paul92029 

Yes, already tried this.  No luck

Options
2021-09-28 21:17:40 - last edited 2021-09-28 21:20:47

@Carl, I was wrong.  I hadn't noticed that the satelite switch wasn't actually working.  I also didn't realize that the v1.09 firmware hadn't been uploaded to your production site even though the product itself had been so the online process was really just updating me to v1.08.  I used the local upgade tool to update to v1.09, but the satelite still isn't working. The main switch is fine (except that the brightness indicator only shows a single dot at the desired level after the update) and I can control the lights perfectly on the switch and through Alexa.  However, the satelite that came with the kit just appears completely dead with no lights at all.  I tried the satelite from my other kit and it also acts dead, but the night light is super bright.  Either way, the main dimmer works fine.  What am I missing?

Options
2021-09-28 21:51:33 - last edited 2021-09-28 21:54:55

I just tried the second kit and it acted the same way.  The initial installation does the full bright and then dims thing.  After updating to v1.09, the satelite switch is lighted properly, but it acts very erratic.  The nightlight stays on regardless of the actual lights being on or off and doesn't turn them on or off either, but the dimmer buttons "sort-of" work SLOWLY.  The down button randomly dims the lights to a random setting as low as 1% while the up button brightens the lights a random amount up to 100%.  This still seems like a communication issue and interference of some sort.  These still aren't ready for primetime. I'm pretty bummed.

Options
2021-09-28 23:33:23 - last edited 2021-09-28 23:36:04

Alright.  I'm pretty burned out, but after many hours of troubleshooting, I've come to this final update for the day.  It turns out that I wasted most of my time on what now appears to have been a completely dead remote switch.  I installed my second kit and thought it was also dead.  What I thought were intermittently and randomly working dimmer buttons on the remote were actually working to dim the lights in 17% increments between 1% and 100%.  I didn't think the toggle button was working either because the night light stays on super bright no matter what and the switch isn't in a location where I can physically see the lights.  It turns out that a single click does turn off and on the lights.  The slowness I saw was my bad.  The speed was fine, but I was watching the Kasa app to see what the lights were actually doing and there is an understandable slight delay over WiFi.  The bottom line is that it appears the kit works with v1.09, but there are bugs:

1. The nightlight is always on regardless of whether the lights are on or off. (remote switch only)

2. The nightlight is much brighter than all my other kasa switches (I have dozens) and single-pole dimmers. (remote switch only)

3. The nightlight ignores the on/off toggle setting in the kasa app.  (remote switch only)

4. The dim level LEDs don't work at all. (remote switch only)

5. The dim level LEDs don't all light up to the left like all the other kasa switches with the v1.09 update installed. (both switches)

6. Long Pressing including custom settings works but Double Tapping doesn't work and behaves like a single tap to turn the lights on or off. (remote switch only)

The circuit has two branches, one that controls 6 lights inside my garage and one branch that controls 3 lights on the outside.  Nothing else is on the circuit and I even disconnected the inside run to ensure those LED bulbs wern't causing some kind of an issue. The distance between the switches is roughly 20 feet with an approximate 70 foot run of three lights. 

I hope this helps since it appears that little testing was done internally. With the possible exception of the super bright nightlght, these bugs all appear to be firmware related and not necessarily hardware.  I think the developers need to get on it and put in some late hours before release.

Thanks @Carl

Options
2021-09-29 01:37:45

I have installed the beta firmware 1.0.9 and it has resolved the issue of the lights turning off. The lights have been on full brightness for a few hours now and they haven't shut down once.

Options
2021-09-29 01:49:34

@Connu  This exact thing happened to me.  Burnt a few hours messing with it... Had another unit and swapped and immediately got to where everyone else is.  About to push the new firmware though - hope this does it!

Options
Related Articles