3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-10-25 18:38:18

@Connu 

I haven't recieved any new feedback yet from the engineering team.  I will reach back out for an update for you and for everyone else, especially on the 4-way and use with a generic switch cocerns.  

Options
2021-10-26 14:16:04

AMDPower wrote

@DEcosse I seriously hope they aren't actually dimming with the remote switch.  This would be a highly unusual way to execute 3-way smart switch.  Most of the 3-way smart switches I've used in the past do all dimming from the main switch.  

@AMDPower  I'm not sure if you interpreted my post correctly - I said that it appears the Primary Module is providing the dimmed voltage since the Output is tied directly to the Load (on the same terminal) at the Satellite Module, using one of the Traveler wires. i.e. the Load is receiving the dimmed voltage directly from the main module. 

Options
2021-10-26 23:10:50

Hello Everyone!!!

I have some feedback regarding a few questions that have been asked.

Can I use the main KS230  with an generic or standard three-way Dimmer?

No,  only the Main KS230 will actually be performing the dimming job.  If you think about this that makes sense, because the WiFi and smart functionality is all housed in the Main unit. The Satellite unit that comes in the KS230 Kit dims the light(s) by sending a signal to the Main KS230 switch via traveler wire.  Specifically because of how the staellite is wired and communicates with the KS230's main unit is the reason why other generic or standard siwtches cannot be used with the KS230. 

Can I use the KS230 kit with a four-way switch?

Agian no,  the KS230 will not function in a 4-way enviroment.  I am asking for further details on this one but I wanted to at least share an summary response.  

Options
2021-10-26 23:32:08

@Carl 

Thanks Carl, are there any plans to allow 2 satelite switches for a master? That would allow an option for use cases were a 4 way switch is in use today. Much better than just covering over the switch plate whole as I have done for now.

Options
2021-10-26 23:39:44

@BaumSquad 

Not that have been mentioned to me, but I'll see and let you know. 

Options
2021-11-02 13:47:47

@Carl

Any update on the official KS230KIT release date? Can't wait to install them!

Options
2021-11-02 14:11:25 - last edited 2021-11-02 14:12:47

Hi @echo954,

This is the quietest the forum has been in months.  I haven't heard from the developers at all, let alone gotten any firmware to test.  In the meantime, my KS230 is as wonky as ever.  It's worked OK for more than a week until this morning (still has all the same issues it otherwise had though).  The lights weren't on like normal since the "off" Alexa routine doesn't work and I need to turn them off manually every day.  The switch was disconnected from WiFi again, but this time the WiFi light was solid orange.  A quick press of the reset button brought the switch back up and I turned the lights off.  @Carl said he was going to give us an update, but that was at least a week ago. Here's the list again of all the bugs and issues that I've been able to confirm so far.  I like to keep reposting it to keep it in front of everyone including the engineers.

1. The round nightlight is always on regardless of whether the lights are on or off. (remote switch only)

2. The round nightlight is much brighter than other kasa switches including the main switch. (remote switch only)

3. The round nightlight ignores the on/off toggle setting in the kasa app.  (remote switch only)

4. The dim level LEDs don't all light up to the left like all the other kasa switches with the v1.09 update installed. (both switches)

5. Long Pressing including custom settings works but Double Tapping doesn't work and behaves like a single tap to turn the lights on or off. (remote switch only)

6. Amazon Routine to toggle switch off fails with Alexa and the kasa app reporting the lights off when they are actually still on.

7. Switch is not editable when setting up a scene.  The default setting is 100% and the app won't advance to edit page.

8. Lights occasionally turn off on their own.

9. WiFi issue?  The switches freeze up and are reported as out of range or network disconnected in the kasa app and need to be restarted from the main switch. However, they are still showing on the network from a Google mesh router with the same DHCP IP lease and can be speed tested.

Options
2021-11-02 14:18:18

@Carl Hey Carl... Is it possible to return these switches to TP-Link for a refund? My Amazon window is long closed and I do not want to deal with this mess honestly.

Options
2021-11-02 16:28:01

I had a good stretch for a while, but starting this weekend Alexa now think the KS230 is "not responding" and I have zero control of it by voice. Sometimes I'm sitting right near it but with no voice control at all the value of having these switches at all is gone. Will we see any significant improvement to reliability soon?

Options
2021-11-02 17:53:50

Hi @ChrisNorthNJ,

Mine was the same way.  Worked for almost 6 weeks and then suddenly started dropping the WiFi connection and the switch would lock up.  All I can do when this happens is hit the reset button on the main switch to fire things back up.  That's #9 in my list.  Do you have the same issue and have to reset? 

Options
Related Articles