3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-11-16 15:02:43 - last edited 2021-11-16 16:29:07

@AMDPower

It's true that each electronic and/or smart switch needs to have constant power and that the KS230 can't be used with 4-way switches.  That's why it's sold as a "kit".  However, a better hardware implementation would have allowed for multiple smart, remote, and 4-way switches in the same circuit.  4-way switches don't cut off power.  They simply toggle the line between four different paths but they always allow line voltage through to the next switch.  Lutron's Maestro series has been able to work in a 4-way cicuit for many years and even allows for a mixture of switches in the same circuit.  Unfortunately, they're relatively expensive electronic switches and they aren't "smart" in the sense that they can be network connected.  I expected much better hardware from TP-Link that would have worked like the Lutron, but included Wi-Fi too.

Options
2021-11-16 15:34:37

@Connu Agree.  I have a lot of MyLeviton devices.  Same thing.  And their remote switches actually work with their wifi line AND z-wave line.  The main switch does all the work and the others just signal the main switch.  Cheapest implementation is through the traveler but WiFi is pretty inexpensive these days and could have been done that way as well.  I actually set up two regular Kasa dimmers to work this way as a test using my Hubitat.  It "works" but unfortunately with the Kasa protocol being UDP, you need constant polling for it to work which causes a delay.  Further, physical pushes on the main switch don't send OUT any UDP messages.  Again, needing constant polling.  

Options
2021-11-16 18:14:51

@Connu Mine are not mounted side by side, but do not appear to be that drastically different.

Options
2021-11-17 18:20:36 - last edited 2021-11-17 18:22:21

Thanks @Garage223.

Mine is bright enough that you would notice it across the room.  I'm really thinking I got a defective unit.  I ordered another kit and should have it today.  We'll see.

On a different note, I noticed that Amazon released a series of smart switches under it's "Basic" brand.  The four new switches include a 3-way dimmer and also need a neutral wire like the KS230 kit.  It's a good-looking unobtrusive switch that offers support for routines and schedules, but only works with Alexa.  Like the Kasa KS230, Amazon says it doesn't support 4-way circuits.  However, they don't require a second smart dimmer switch or a special remote switch in a 3-way circuit.  This leads me to believe that it should actually be able to work in a 4-way circuit as long as you can get the line and load to the main switch.  At only $21.99 retail, it’s significantly less than other switches.  Curiosity is killing me, so I've ordered one to play with on my 4-way circuits.  TP-Link, can you finish polishing up the firmware by taking care of the last few issues and maybe lower your price a few bucks to boot?

Amazon Basics 3-Way Smart Dimmer Switch, Works with Alexa, Neutral Wire Required - A Certified for Humans Device - - Amazon.com

Options
2021-11-18 00:35:00

@Astone595 

Unfortunately no.  TP-Link can only process refunds in very specific circumstances.  Those typically include the item having to be purchased directly from us.  You see our retailers maintain their own inventory of products so we are not actually involved in the direct sell.  They purchase inventory from us and then they sell directly to the customer.  This is also why unauthorized 3rd party sellers do not have warranties on the items they sell.  These items because they are not being bought from a source that purchase directly from us are considered 2nd hand items and as such warranties do not transfer to the 2nd owner, regardless of what condition the 3rd party seller says the product is in.  

Now there are times where TP-Link may make exceptions to this rule and provide a refund but they are case by case and usually only if we are not able to address the concerns.  Now i was ill the last several weeks and just getting back to work but my understanding is that the concerns brought up in thread have been addressed and resolved, meaning the product should know be working as designed.  If that is not the case for you then we can possibly see about such an exception but that would need to be handled internally.  You can email us at USSupportTeam@tp-link.com with specific details about your situation to see if it can be an exception but I can't say yes for sure, typcially based on what we are seeing right now I would not see an exception granted. 

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! Get Started Here!
Options
2021-11-18 00:36:26

@justinmfischer 

I am just getting back to work.  I did see the official product approval and I am seeing they are now available on Amazon again. 

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

Options
2021-11-18 01:39:06

@slothThinks 

The Beta Testing team has currently locked new entries, the reason why the banner was removed from the main page.  We will reopen enrollment shortly after they have revamped the beta program.  

Options
2021-11-18 01:44:19

@Connu 

Hi Connu,  Sorry for the delay i was out ill for the last several weeks and just getting back.  I will need to see what changes they made to resolve questions, and also see what limitations are still being applied.  I'll find out and get back to you 

Options
2021-11-18 01:47:42

@Connu 

I did get information that the double tap is one of the features that were broken in order to resolve these concerns.  I assume but can't say for sure that they will continue to review and evaluate what if anything that was lost can be restored.  I'll know more soon. 

Options
2021-11-18 15:14:09 - last edited 2021-11-18 15:15:38

Hi @Carl,

Good to hear from you!  I thought you might have quit.    It's disapointing that they had to disable features and force the remote nightlight to always be on in order to get the kit to mostly work.  Now the nightlight is neither a nightlight (since it's always on, even during the day) nor a power indicator (since it's always on regardless of whether the lights are).  On top of that, my indicator light is many times brighter than my other Kasa switches.  I've got a new kit on the way and will keep you posted on whether this is an issue or simply a bad switch I received.  

Options
Related Articles