3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-11-18 16:10:09

@Connu @Carl 

Agreed - Mine is installed in a bedroom and is too bright at night for sleeping.  It would be great if we could disable the remote led. 

Thanks!

Options
2021-11-19 01:34:24 - last edited 2021-11-19 01:35:43

@Garage223,

I'm with you.  It's really bright.  I just got a new kit this afternoon and it has the same issue.  This is bad hardware and manufacturing.  I'm a Kasa fan and now a beta tester, but the KS230 kit is a subpar 3-way switch all the way around.  It's amazing that even though TP-Link knows about the remaining hardware and firmware issues that it's been re-released for sale. 

Options
2021-11-19 12:56:44

I updated my device to the 1.0.10 today. The night light on the satellite is still off all time. Is my device defective? In this case, will I receive a new one?

Options
2021-11-19 13:13:56

Hi @Aksdenn,

I'll trade you! smiley​​​​​​  It sounds like you may have a dead nightlight, but did you really want a super bright one in ALL the time?

Options
2021-11-19 14:33:11

It really sucks that the satellite switch light is always on or always off from what I am hearing. How am I supposed to know what that light is doing outside when its across my house? Whats the point even?

Options
2021-11-19 14:40:04 - last edited 2021-11-19 14:40:39

@Astone595 

Agreed.  The remote satellite nightlight is neither a nightlight (since it's always on, even during the day) nor a power indicator (since it's always on regardless of whether the lights are).  It's pointless and annoying, especially when it's always on.  I have two runs of lights outside that I can't see from either of the switches.  At least the main switch works and I can take a look at it's nightlight to see if the lights are actually on or off (can check the apps as well), but that mostly defeats the purpose of a remote/3-way switch in the first place!

Options
2021-11-19 15:53:57

@Connu Has TP-Link commened that this is the intend function of the satelite switch's LED? I dont think I seen a firm stance in the month or so this has been onoging since it seems to be different for some people... And if it is, can it be changed in firmware or is it just a hard powered LED that always will be on...? I would think not because its off for some.... I think? (or broken) So can we get @Carl to see if the firmware guys can do something about this, or at very least take a stance at this point of what the LEDs onboard these switches should or can do? I dont know why they would change this one set of switches to not match the entire design language of their existing eco-sysem's LEDs. I rather just use my non-dimable two ways if thats the case so I can see what my lights staus is without the app... Was any thought put into this set of switches?

Options
2021-11-19 17:24:29 - last edited 2021-11-19 17:31:10

@Astone595

The kit ships with literature listing the intended functions of the switch and the intended functions of the various lights including the nightlight.  You can also find this info on their website.  The double-click function and nightlight are supposed to function like all of the other Kasa switches.  The double-click should be programmable and the nightlight should indicate the status of the lights.  We should also be able to toggle the nightlight completely off from the Kasa app, but this doesn't work either.  It's unclear why some users report the nightlight is always on and other always off, but I think it's a firmware issue.  In order to get the lights to stay on, I believe the engineers intentionally broke the nightlight functionality in v1.09 to minimize interference to the remote switch.  It's buried in the forum somewhere.  The engineers then intentionally broke the double-click feature to "fix" stability issues including routine/scene "off" failures.  I'm under the impression that these are temporary patches so that the switch will "mostly" work, but no one from TP-Link will confirm.  I really believe that the kit is fundamentally flawed with hardware issues. They really need to take a look at other manufacturers' smart switches that don't require a remote at all and support 4-way circuits and standard mechanical switches as well.     

Options
2021-11-19 17:28:32

Hi Everyone.  

So to be transparent here is what I was given:

Features broke due to resolution of the concerns that were brought up here.  

1.  Double Tap:  

2.  Always on Night light

Unfortuently they do not believe these features can be restored in the current hardware, but should be fully resolved in future versions of the product.

Regarding the night light on the satillite unit:

We can provide a beta firmware to those of you that want to try it.  This will add a LED control fucntion to the satillite unit.  However the feature will only work when the lights are off.  If there are any users like @Connu  that would like to try this please let me know so I can get you the download link.

There are also two more concerns that we have been receiving feedback on since the product began to sell again. Please let me know if you experiance either of these situations

1.  Both main and satellite units physical buttons will not work.  WiFi LED is solid amber and the unit cannot be reset

2.  Only the Satellite's phyiscal button will not work. 

Thanks everyone 

Options
2021-11-19 17:38:50

Thanks @Carl.

It's unfortunate that I went ahead and got a new kit yesterday to try to fix the nightlight issue always being on and way too bright.  I'm returning it today, but it was a waste of time and resources for something that technical support sould have known and also been transparent about.  I understand that no one at TP-Link wanted to admit that the hardware was the issue, but I've pretty well concluded this for weeks now.  Can we at least get a replacement to v1.1 hardware when it's released rather than playing the return game with Amazon since we've hung in well past the Amazon return window?

The other two issues were issues I had seen in the past, but they were resolved with v1.10 firmware to at least make the switch usable and stable.  Have the users still reporting these issues upgraded their firmware?   

Options
Related Articles