3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-11-19 18:14:39

@Carl  Thank you for this update.

I would like the new firmware please.  

Do we have an update on when the new hardware would be available for purchase so that I can return to Amazon before the return window closes?

Options
2021-11-19 19:09:56 - last edited 2021-11-19 19:10:45

@Carl Well I dont like that at all. I want my hardware to work as described/expected. I'd like to return otherwise... I waited to firmware to resolve the issues and now that its offically a hardware FLAW and the hardware is going to prevent it from working as intened I think thats grounds for you guys to refund me since I waited and got screwed on my Amazon return window. Thoughts?

Options
2021-11-20 01:51:15

@Connu 

I can say with all honestly that support didn't know.  I pushed long and hard to get updates but i was at the mercy of the development team.  I can even say with confidence that they likely didn't know about these issues either, otherwise their responses would have been quite different to me.  I know that from past experiences with difficult deployments.  That said, it obviously did not work out for the customers.  The best solution i can offer is that I don't mind doing a RMA for a new version of the hardware, however that would not be until a new version was released and the current product would have to be with in the 2-year warranty period.  Based on experience I do not see that being a problem because its not likely going to take 2 years to launch v2.  

Regrettably this was a very flawed launch and I'll do what I can and is with in my power to ensure customer satisfaction, but as you can guess I am limited on what I can do and promise.

Options
2021-11-20 01:52:19

@Garage223 

I've reached out to the team to get the link. 

No updates on when the new hardware version would be released but based on experience it would be within the 2-year warranty period this product has.

Options
2021-11-20 01:53:20

@Astone595 

I can certainly discuss with my director and see if it is something we can approve but i can't make any promises.  Please reach out to me at ussupportteam@tp-link.com so I work with you more directly. 

Options
2021-11-20 13:24:44 - last edited 2021-11-20 13:42:22

Hi @Carl,

I'd like to try the latest firmware.  If the nightlight on the remote could be disabled, I could definitely live with it for now.  On the other hand, I think @Astone595 is right and I believe TP-Link should very happily refund the handful of users in this forum that hung in there past the Amazon return window in order to work with you and your engineers to continue to try to ready the KS230 kit for relaunch.  Personally, I've spent a crazy number of hours troubleshooting what turned out to be defective hardware.  At any point the engineers could have told me to return the kit, but instead I was encouraged to keep beta testing firmware and told that the issues weren't hardware related.  I have always been a Kasa fanboy and I'm trying hard not to feel taken advantage of.  TP-Link should do the right thing by letting us continue to help you troubleshoot and refunding our purchases. 

Options
You've got to be kidding me!
2021-11-20 14:01:57 - last edited 2021-11-20 14:05:03

@Carl,

I just went to Amazon to return my latest KS230 kit and noticed that it suddenly has a 5-star rating with 8,214 reviews.  Amazing sales in just one day!  Wow, TP-Link actually combined the HS210 kit with the KS230 kit under the umbrella of a "3-way switch", just different styles, to combine the ratings of the two kits and hide the fact that the KS230 is defective and had only a 2-star rating yesterday.  TP-Link has even gone so far as to suggest that the KS230 kit switches are identical and only $25.00 each.  What a deal!  This seems awfully close to sales fraud.  The KS230 should have been pulled from the market permanently until a new hardware version could be released.  Why is TP-Link trying so hard to destroy their reputation?  WTF? 

Options
You've got to be kidding me!
2021-11-20 15:16:36

@Connu oof that's a dirty move.

Options
2021-11-20 20:07:12 - last edited 2021-11-20 20:43:03

When Carl said that the problems required a new hardware version to fix, I clicked on the Amazon return button.

But then when Carl pointed out that we have two years to do an RMA, that seems like a good deal to me.  I'm going to keep and install this one, and if everything else works, buy more.  The double-tap feature isn't a big deal for me, I never use it, I just tell my Google assistant to set whatever brightness level I want, and if the nightlight is too bright, I can live with it until v2 comes out.

It would be nice if we could get an update that simply turns off the nightlight on the satellite switch.

I'm assuming that this works well with Google Assistant.  I hope this is a safe assumption.

For those of you that want to return yours and don't want to do an RMA, maybe I can buy it?  Or you can sell it on eBay?

All of us are living on the bleeding edge of technology, I expect to run into a few bumps.

I spent $1,200 on Netgear equipment with the promise of Wi-Fi mesh that, after 12 hours chatting with Netgear support and 3 RMAs, never did work.  That was painful.

Paul

Options
2021-11-21 00:59:32

@Paul92029 

I mostly agree with you except that a 3-way smart dimmer in 2021 isn't bleeding edge.  Amazon just released a better implementation that actually works with an existing mechanical switch and only costs $20.  The KS230 rollout was seriously botched and the kit is a bad hardware design to boot.  TP-Link can do much better.

Options
Related Articles