3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-02-12 02:31:07 - last edited 2021-02-12 02:31:45

@Carl

Thank you for the update. I've been waiting for years for a 3 way dimmer.

Options
2021-02-12 19:26:26

@Capthook006 

As have a lot of customers.  I am just pleased that we are finally answering these calls.  The wait is almost over as we are looking at Mid-July to Early-August for a launch.   We even have a outdoor dimmer plug planned for later this year. 

Options
2021-02-12 19:28:00

@xlnt 

Mid-July to Early-August is the current plan.  Though I do not anticipate this to change, it has been known to happen so please just use this as a rough estimate. Reach back out early July and we should know for sure by then.

Options
2021-02-12 22:11:28

The sooner, the better.  I have heard the global chip shortage has impacted many products with some manufacturers delaying new product rollouts and causing supply issues with currant products.  Hope this is not going to affect the 3way dimmer rollout.

Options
2021-02-17 04:26:40
That's great news, but wow pretty much gave a up a year ago and turned off notifications on this thread. Worth noting Kasa Smart Store (that's offical right?) is selling a package on Amazon called: Kasa 3 Way Smart Switch by TP-Link & Kasa Smart Dimmer Switch by TP-Link, Single Pole, Needs Neutral Wire,WiFi Light Switch for LED Lights, Works with Alexa and Google Assistant, 1-Pack(HS220) https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-TP-Link-Neutral-Assistant/dp/B08M1N8C42/ Which is super misleading because I think everyone would assume that package worked together as a 3-way dimmer when it doesn't.
Options
2021-02-17 16:23:51

@Carl  We heard before that the 3-way smart dimmer was going to be introduced this spring. Now they are saying July or August? How Confident is TP Link that this will happen this summer? This development has taken a very long time. Other suppliers/competitirs have achieved this, so this is not new technology.

Options
2021-02-17 19:25:06

@SteveSJ 

Late Q2 was the latest estimate that was given last month at CES.  At this time that is the timeframe however I can't say it won't change.  I don't think it will but it still has a possibility.  

Options
2021-02-20 03:06:20

@Diesel1122 You don't have to wait for Kasa to release a 3-way dimmer. You can use the Smart Actions tab in your Kasa app. I replaced two traditional 3-way switches with a Kasa dimmer and a Kasa 3-way. After I installed them I was disappointed that they can't be paired by holding down the switch for 5 sec. like the 3-way instructions said. I then realized that this is a software problem. If you go into the Kasa app, click Smart Actions, press +, select "control with a switch". Then you select the first switch so that when it's on, the second switch will also be on. And set up another smart action for the reverse direction. Tada! You've got a 3-way dimmer with no waiting for Kasa to launch one!
Note: in retrospect, I may not have needed a 3-way switch, just a regular single pole since the software logic is what controls the switches, not the wires. HTH.

Options
2021-02-22 03:50:31 - last edited 2021-02-23 18:38:50

Ok lets admit that we do not want to wait and well we do want to replace a pair of three way switches, what about a TP-Link compatible alternative?

Given you have a TP-Link dimmer switch (single pole) and a TP-Link switch (single pole not a dimmer).  At the hot side you wire the dimmer switch to hot and one of the travelers.  At the other side you wire the same travler wire to the light.  You now have a single dimmer controlled light.  Now install the TP-link single pole switch (not a dimmer) in the remaining location and just connect it to hot and white nothing connected to control.  Now you add both switches to your system and bind them together with Smart Action.  The result is that when you press the non dimmer switch it will turn on the dimmer switch (or off) and the same on the other end but the dimming is only controlled by the dimmer.

Hope you get this.  You are doing the travler binding in software.

Note:

Since you can assemble 50 smart actions but only have 3 that actually are on-line it may depreciate this approach.  The 3-Way dimmer is truly the only real solution

dm

Options
2021-02-24 18:58:04

@Carl Apparently.... after more than 2 years, your developement team is most certainly not listening about a 3-way dimmer, nor are they producing anything of the sort.  I have put a lot of money and time into your products.  Is this how you retain customers?  We're feeling quite ignored!

Options
Related Articles