HS200 wired to a dedicated receptacle of an outlet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-26 15:17:34
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.5

I want to wire the HS200 to the bottom receptacle of an outlet. I am running 12/3 to the outlet. Is this possible?  My goal is to have an always hot receptacle and run 2 more outlets off this first outlet. I only want the bottom outlet to be controlled by HS200 and the top to be always hot. 

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:HS200 wired to a dedicated receptacle of an outlet
2019-07-26 17:54:36

@JohnDen 

HS200's require 3 wires to operate:  Live, Load and Neutral.  A ground is optional.  If the outlet is wired to the light switch and has an extra wire it will not work.  A viable option would be the KP200.  https://www.kasasmart.com/us/products/smart-plugs/kasa-smart-wifi-power-outlet-kp200

This is a 2-outlet smart plug that can be turned on or off separately.  It will alllow you to acomplish what you want to do without any major wiring issues.  

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:HS200 wired to a dedicated receptacle of an outlet
2019-07-27 16:02:50

I originally purchased the KP200, but I am using it outside so I need a water resistant outlet. 

But I think I can make the HS200 work with only one of the two outlets. If I don't hook up the Red Hot wire to the switch and hook it up to the Line and then to the upper receptacle of the outlet (with the tab broken between the two receptacles), I think the top outlet will always be hot. I will hook the switch - Switch Black(1) to Line (source) Black, Switch Black (2) to Load Black, Neutral to Neutral, Ground to Groud. I will have a Red Hot connected to the Line Black which will connect to the top receptacle. The Switch Black (2) wire will connect to the lower receptacle. Ground to Receptacle Ground and Neutral to Receptacle Neutral. 

Then, I will attempt to run another line from this outlet to an additional outlet that is wired the same way for one hot and one switched to the same switch. I think it may work. Any opinions out there? I am very curious and would welcome all comments.

Thank you.....

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1572

Replies: 2