Unable to add switches to Kasa for the past 2 days

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-04 17:08:45
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I purchased two brand new HS200 switches for my home.  Since I had such an easy time installing and setting up these switches before, I thought I'd add more.  So I installed them per the instructions.  The switch lights up as it's supposed to and I can shut on/turn off the attached light fixture.

However, when I try to set the switches up in Kasa, total failure.  In the past, I would add the device as instructed, my Android phone would switch to its wifi briefly, and then after it sends over the wifi network info, the switch would reset, my phone would return to my wifi, and I could name the switch and be done with it.  NOW, for the past 2 days, the phone gets stuck on the "Connecting to device" screen.  It finds the device and connects to its wifi, but that's as far as it gets.  It never switches back to my wifi and the switch never reboots.

This is on BOTH HS200's that I purchased.  As a test, I also reset another HS200 that I have installed, which I installed about a year ago.  I reset it and then went to install it in Kasa.  Same outcome; it finds the switch, gets to the Connecting to device screen...and that's it.  By the way, if I wait for several minutes, Kasa times out and says that it's unable to connect to the device.

Reading through the forums here, it seems that others have been having a similar issue over the past couple off weeks.  In my case, I think it's since the last App update.

TpLink, PLEASE look into this!!  There is something wrong with your app, and particularly the last update you sent out.  Surely you're not going to tell me that I have two bad switches -- both brand new -- and a switch that's a year old and never had issues connecting is also now bad. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Unable to add switches to Kasa for the past 2 days
2019-10-04 20:35:33

@petrakid3 

Test with another smart phone to rule out your original phone, even if that is the same one used to set up your working switches. Given how you have multiple switches, the app will not automatically switch, you will need to manually switch over. If there was only one smart switch, then the app would do that. The same applies if you had multiple bulbs.

Options
2019-12-08 20:13:38

@petrakid3 

I have the same issue.  I installed a switch and it installed fine but could not connect to the network.  So I moved the router closer to the switch and it still would not connect.  In an effort to get it to connect I tried to delete the device.  When I try to install it I get the message unable to connect to the device WiFi.  I tried to reset it to factory defaults and that did not work.  It blinks orange and green periodically but only for a short time.

Please tell me how to resolve this issue with your switch.

Thank you,

Hghintz

Options
2019-12-11 18:20:44

@H2h 

The smart switch should be consistantly blink orange and green. If you do nothing after resetting it, and it all of a sudden stops blinking orange and green something else may be wrong. 

Please contact our support team: 

Live Chat: link
Phone: link
E-mail: link

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1418

Replies: 3