Smart switch not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Smart switch not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Smart switch not working
Smart switch not working
2019-10-05 21:59:06
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Updated this week

Switch plate lights and connected to home WiFi. I can turn the switch on and off from my phone but the lights don’t turn on. I have only 1 black (live) wire coming to the switch so I connected both black wires from the switch to the same live wire and the neutral and ground wires are all connected. I tried for two different lamps, neither work.

Suggestions?

thanks

Options
8 Reply
Re:Smart switch not working
2019-10-05 22:34:02

@rsw 

Do you have a picture of the switch wiring before making changes?

Options
2019-10-07 05:34:28

Thanks for responding. I didn’t take a photo. I tried to replace a simple single pole switch. There are only three wires 1black(hot) , the neutral white wire and a ground and there really isn’t much choice where the wires attach on a single pole switch. Since I couldn’t get the smart switch to work I reinstalled the old fashioned single pole switch. I could take a photo of that if you think it might help. @rsw 

Options
2019-10-07 12:38:48

@rsw 

A neutral is never connected to a dumb switch.

The white in your case is a line/load and should of been marked black with black tape or marker.

Options
2019-10-07 14:27:38

I think I understand. When I checked for power on the two lines coming into the box, the line from the circuit breaker showed power and the second line takes the power to the light and so has power when the switch is in the on position.  Is that right?  So I should connect the two black lines from the switch to each of the two lines coming into the box.  What do I do with the white line from the smart switch?

Options
2019-10-07 17:24:06

@rsw 

The white from the switch needs to be connected to a neutral.

If you have other wires in the box, and one of them is a neutral, then connect that to the white of the switch.

Sometimes you will find a group of white wires under a wirenut in the box, that would be your neutral.

Options
2019-10-07 18:54:15

@B.Will 

Works!  Thanks so much. 

Options
2019-10-07 20:31:17

@rsw 

Your welcome.

Glad to be of help.

Options
2019-10-07 21:03:12

@B.Will 

Thanks for assisting your fellow community member.  Its great to see helpful interactions and knowledge sharing here.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2953

Replies: 8

Related Articles