Smart actions more than 3 active

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Smart actions more than 3 active

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
193 Reply
Re:Smart actions more than 3 active
2021-10-11 22:25:02

Well, this is quite a disappointment.  I have a plethora of Kasa Smart devices, 40 in total, and counting.  I've found them to be very affordable and very reliable, that is until now.  I've been using smartthings to automate lighting based on motion detected by my motion sensors.  But, Smartthings and Kasa Smart don't always play well together and I started encountering problems.  I removed my Kasa products from Smartthings and reconfigured it again.  Everything ran fine for a short time and then I started encountering the same problems all over again.  I was looking into other options when I discovered the inexpensive Kasa Smart Spot Cam E60 can be used as a motion sensor to trigger my lights.  Perfect!  I can use 4 cams, one in each corner of my house, to trigger lights.  This kills two birds with one stone.  Not only do they detect motion and turn on lights, but they record the action too.  This is exactly what I need.  So, I purchase my 4 Kasa Smart Spot cams for $25/ea, set them all up and then I begin configuring my smart actions.  Everything was working great until I started configuring my 4th smart action.  This is when I discovered that I can only have 3 smart actions active at a time.  I can't believe this limitation even exists.  Did I just waste $100 trying to accomplish something that's not even possible?  This seems like a very basic request.  Why in the world would you limit us to just 3 smart actions?  This makes absolutely no sense to me.  I am a senior software engineer and I have quite a bit of experience  with the lifecycle of designing and building software applications.  Whomever the designer of this functionality is should be fired.  Spend the time, design it right and release a fully functional product.

Options
2021-10-12 00:59:18

@Nickp001 

I have ~50 Kasa devices and have been able to use SmartThings with fairly good success. I don't have cameras and SmartThings does have some limitations. Samsung allows you to write some custom code also. I'm not a very good coder. :-)

I agree that this issue has existed too long to blame technology or Engineeering. Clearly Kasa Product Management doesn't see a need. 

Options
2021-10-12 06:10:51
What were the original reasons Carl? I can’t see those in the thread.
Options
2021-10-15 12:03:23

@Carl. This is a major design flaw and I'm returning my devices today.  Only way to make this a priority is to have a mass of people doing by same.  You guys will lose your contract with major retailers (Home Depot) with all these returns.   Too bad - seemed like a great product. 

Options
2021-10-15 20:25:29

@SteveDga 

Its not a design flaw as it was not part of the original design of our smart products.  The service was added sometime ago and originally was limited for two reasons.  1.  adding all devices to the service and ensuring it was stable.  That obviously is no longer a factor and I know there is working being done, but there are a lot of factors the team have to consider.   All we can do is update the team and let them know it is still being sought after, which I will of course do.  

Options
2021-10-15 21:05:19

@Carl what's number 2..?

Options
2021-10-18 17:02:53

@Newcastle_Jack 

2.  was ensuring it was stable.  i just forgot to put 2.

Options
2021-10-24 01:04:50

wow this is a joke. Even worse because I see this thread going on for a while and nothing has been done. I'm the latest victim. Got bunch of switches thinking I can schedule / program. 3 schedules max ??!?? I'm in disbelieve. Need to return this junk and delete my account. 

Options
2021-10-25 17:30:42

@PrasNeupane 

Schedules are as limited as Smart Actions.  Schedules are set per device.  you will need to set two in most instances.  1 for the on function, and 1 for the off function.  Smart Actions limitations are different and being worked but we do not have any status of what is being done or how long it will take.  SmartThings is a good alternative until it is though.  

Options
2021-10-31 05:18:38
Or Alexa
Options