3-way Smart Dimmer Switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-03 00:27:50

Hello. I'm looking for a 3-way dimmer switch. I don't believe Tp-Link/Kasa makes one. However, is it possible to use a 3-way switch and a single pole dimmer?

Options
7 Reply
Re:3-way Smart Dimmer Switch
2019-12-10 01:16:19
Just bought a bunch of switches not realizing there is no 3 way dimmer. Crazy that this isn't being co considered right nkw. I would have gone with a different brand had I known
Options
2020-01-22 22:01:07 - last edited 2020-01-22 22:02:00

mnead wrote

Hello. I'm looking for a 3-way dimmer switch. I don't believe Tp-Link/Kasa makes one. However, is it possible to use a 3-way switch and a single pole dimmer?

@mnead I read on one of the forum posts here that someone used a traditional dimmer switch on the load side and an HS210 on the line side to do exactly what you are asking. I personally stopped waiting for tp-link to release a dimmer and went with the Feit Electric 3 way switches, which can be used as a 3 way dimmer switch or a single pole dimmer. At $30 for a 2 pack, they are economically friendly on my wallet. I got mine at the local Costco.

Options
2020-06-25 21:58:26

@mnead 

I just installed a Kasa 3 way switch with a traditional 3 way dimmable switch last night.  While it worked, it didn't quite work as well as I hoped. 

The problem I ran into was if the sooner was set too low, the Kasa switch would flake out and wouldn't control the light.  It would try to as I could hear the relay clicking inside of it, but it couldn't maintain the connection. After failing to make the state change, it would try again.  This would continue until I increased the brightness at the 'dumb' dimmer switch. 

The other thing I noticed is that when I turn the lights on from either end of the 3 way circuit, the would come on at full brightness for less than a second before dimming. 

Options
2021-02-26 03:08:56

@DevAuto just wanted to correct your switch/ dimmer info. You would have to install the smart switch on the "Line" side not the "load" side. That way that Kasa switch is just turning power on or off to the dimmer. Whatever you leave the "dumb" dimmer level at that's where it will stay if your trying to do app control. You would have to manually adjust dimmer on wall. You never want to put the switch on the "Load" side because when you dim the power the switch is not getting the proper voltage. This is where I tell you to hire a pro! Master Electrician - 18 years in the biz

Options
2021-05-21 18:23:20
Coming soon it says --- https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/smart-switch/ks230-kit/
Options
2021-10-21 19:55:37

@mnead bad news. It looks like the page is gone sad

Options
2021-10-27 00:31:49

@shmulyeng 

Just for now.  We are working on resolving some bugs.  Once they are resolved the product and the product page will be available. 

Options