KL430 Light Strip Jumpers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

KL430 Light Strip Jumpers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
45 Reply
Re:KL430 Light Strip Jumpers
2021-05-11 00:34:16

@Carl 

I have the same issue. I have cabinets that I want to jump between. If these are not available or I can't find what I need I think I will take these back to the store since this product is to expensive to throw sections away that cannot be adapted to smaller lengths. 

Options
2021-05-11 00:58:12

@MikeH01 

Hi Mike.  I understand however that is not part of the original design specification.  They were designed to expand up to 33 feet and can be cut at certain points to fit better.  If cut keep in mind that segment can no longer be expanded.  They are also Flexible and have an adhesive base and can be fitted around corners.  I will agree that adapter like is be asked for here provide a cleaner look and will add it to the request form.  I just can't guarantee they will be made.  

Options
2021-05-30 04:35:22

@Carl 

Has there been any progress? I've found multiple threads going back years that just die off as soon as 'Kasa' says they'll look into it. The custom pins do make it very difficult for someone with exp to make look clean.  Could we at least find out who makes these connectors so we can try to source them ourselves?

Options
2021-06-01 16:11:04

@Tronman 

As far as I know they are made inhouse, though that could be wrong as our other lighting products are OEM.  I added it to the request list but that doesn't mean every request will be fulfilled.  As far as I know right now there is no plans in place for such a product adapter to be made.  That could change but right now its not on the roadmap.  I will however add it to the list once more. 

Options
2021-06-03 02:02:07 - last edited 2021-06-03 02:03:13

@Carl 

I have over $600 invested in my whole home in TP Link Kasa bulbs, plugs and switches.  I have waited well over a year to upgrade my kitchen cabinet over and under lighting simply bc there are no adapters or wire extensions offered for this set.  An LED strip set without wire extensions(not just light extensions) or adapters is unsellable in my opinion.  Unfortunately if none are made for this set,  I will be switching out all of my TP-Link products to another brand which offers these adapters and wire extensions. Which I'm super shocked TP-link STILL doesn't offer when everyone else does! 

Options
2021-06-03 16:47:45

@wildone3c 

I'm a little confused by your comments.  TP-Link does sell extensions for the KL430, the KL430E.  What we do not sell is adapters, such as a right angle adapter, but also there really is no need to in most cases.  This is because TP-Link's smart light strips, like many others are flexible and can easily be routed around the inside corner of a wall or cabinet.  Granted, it would be rounded and not at a perfect 90 degree angle, but it will still work especially in a scenario like yours, above and below cabinets, where the strip is not typically visible and a perfect angle is not as important as if it were to be a visible strip.  I will provide your feedback on our product request though as we are always listening to customer feedback. 

Options
2021-07-13 21:25:32

@Nickp001 

would lthis work?

https://www.amazon.com/Nelyeqwo-16-4ft-Extension-Connector-Soldless/dp/B082FGJN7G/ref=pd_bxgy_img_1/146-3574525-4284857?pd_rd_w=bAIQh&pf_rd_p=c64372fa-c41c-422e-990d-9e034f73989b&pf_rd_r=DC54QA5DBN87N4CJWVXY&pd_rd_r=8a90c249-203f-46fd-b545-57f2ee5fb1a0&pd_rd_wg=JyNxE&pd_rd_i=B082FGJN7G&th=1

Options
2021-07-15 17:33:28

@RyanEverhart789 - Possibly, I'm not too sure.

Options
2021-07-25 22:59:16

@wildone3c 

I have a lot invested in tp-Link components also, which is why I wanted to use their light strip in order to preserve my smart home ecosystem.  With a little engineering and cutting I was able to add extension cables and connect multiple strips through cabinets and around corners.  No soldering was required. All of the lighting effects continue to work as designed.

These were the connectors I used from Amazon:

BZONE 10 Pack LED Strip Connector 4 Pin with 16.4FT Extension Cable for Waterproof 10mm Wide 5050 RGB LED Strip Lights, Strip to Wire Quick Connection, 22-20 AWG
by BZONE-Direct
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B7QQ1YP/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_2N6C8DYFZ4S15BW1K9JT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I used one KL430 6-foot light strip, plus two 3-foot extensions.  I cut each of the 3-foot extensions in half since I needed two locations where I was adding the connectors and extension wires; be sure to cut ONLY where you see the 4 silver pins joining the light strip together in the center, then strip the adhesive off the back of the light strip where you cut in order to expose the 4 copper terminals.  Since the plastic connectors are 10mm, and the light strip is 12mm, you'll need to cut about 1mm off of each side of the cut strip in order to make it fit into the connecter.  Be careful not to cut into or damage the copper terminals or any of the small electrical components inside the light strip.

Follow the standard instructions for setting up the main light strip and the extensions: plug in the main light strip only (with no extensions attached), follow the instructions in the app to join the light strip to your network, unplug the main light strip, connect the extensions to the main light strip, then plug it back in.  If you have problems, you may need to delete the light strip from the app, reset it, and start over with the setup process...it can be finicky, especially if you're testing the connections and jumpers as you go through the process of making sure each of them works.

Hope that helps.

Options
2021-07-26 14:56:52

@Carl This is not relevant to what he's asking

Options
Related Articles