Archer C1900 v1 USB drive can't be seen

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-11 19:25:53 - last edited 2020-04-13 20:51:22
Model: Archer C1900  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.17.0 Build 20151009 Rel.61423n

I'm trying to set up a USB drive connected to the USB port on my C1900.  The router sees the USB drive.  The USB light is on and the router's status page says the drive is set up for Network Neighborhood sharing, but Windows 10 can't see the drive.  I've tried accessing it by the the IP address and the network server name listed on the status page, but neither one works, and Network in File Explorer doesn't see it.  The router does show up as a media server, but not as a share.  If I enable ftp on the router, I am able to access the drive through FTP.  

Is there a trick to access the shared drive in Windows?

Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C1900 v1 USB drive can't be seen-Solution
2020-04-13 16:06:28 - last edited 2020-04-13 20:51:22

Andy_42 wrote

I'm trying to set up a USB drive connected to the USB port on my C1900.  The router sees the USB drive.  The USB light is on and the router's status page says the drive is set up for Network Neighborhood sharing, but Windows 10 can't see the drive.  I've tried accessing it by the the IP address and the network server name listed on the status page, but neither one works, and Network in File Explorer doesn't see it.  The router does show up as a media server, but not as a share.  If I enable ftp on the router, I am able to access the drive through FTP.  

Thanks.

@Andy_42 

Do you have SMB1 running on W10?

When you open a CMD prompt (Windows Key + R) and enter NET VIEW, what do you get? Do you see \\TP-Share (assuming that is the USB disk name)?

If not, you need to turn SMB1 Client on. See https://winaero.com/blog/enable-smb1-sharig-protocol-windows-10/

That should fix the problem.

However, that can be a problem as ALL Windows machines must have it on as well. It can be considered a Security Risk. Problem is NETBIOS is used in the router t/w for sharing, not WSD which is what W10 uses. There was problems with SMB1, like the WannaCry attack that used the Server. However those 'holes' were fixed by MS and also recognized by Security Suites. I'm using SMB1 and feel comfortable about it.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer C1900 v1 USB drive can't be seen
2020-04-11 20:13:09
Try using the window key + r and then entering \\192.168.0.1
Options
Re:Archer C1900 v1 USB drive can't be seen-Solution
2020-04-13 16:06:28 - last edited 2020-04-13 20:51:22

Andy_42 wrote

Thanks.

@Andy_42 

Do you have SMB1 running on W10?

When you open a CMD prompt (Windows Key + R) and enter NET VIEW, what do you get? Do you see \\TP-Share (assuming that is the USB disk name)?

If not, you need to turn SMB1 Client on. See https://winaero.com/blog/enable-smb1-sharig-protocol-windows-10/

That should fix the problem.

However, that can be a problem as ALL Windows machines must have it on as well. It can be considered a Security Risk. Problem is NETBIOS is used in the router t/w for sharing, not WSD which is what W10 uses. There was problems with SMB1, like the WannaCry attack that used the Server. However those 'holes' were fixed by MS and also recognized by Security Suites. I'm using SMB1 and feel comfortable about it.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1374

Replies: 2

Related Articles