home network not recognized

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-18 20:00:17 - last edited 2020-04-22 16:55:56

I own an AC1900 Wireless Dual Band Archer router. Our home network is run through this router and has been for awhile. All of our cellphones recognize and use the network set up through this router.

Question: I have two new devices that have wireless capabilities. A new EPSON printer received during Christmas time. And Sonos OneSL speaker just purchased. When I try and connect these devices wirelessly neither recognizes my home network. They see other surrounding networks. Even when I try and manually enter the network name and password during setup, it is rejected. 

They do see my ISP (Verizon) network. So, I think it has something to do with the TP Link router and its settings or something. Any help would be much apprectiated.

Sincerely,

ljdietrich

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:home network not recognized-Solution
2020-04-20 21:44:05 - last edited 2020-04-22 16:55:56

I finally got it to work. Couldn't understand why it at least would not work on the 2.4 network. So I decided to give it one last shot before I gave SONOS a call. Anyhow, brought the speaker into my office close to my router (not really sure if that made a difference). Factory reset the speaker, connected my phone to the TP-Link 2.4 GHz network and tried going through the app setup process again. And voila, it worked! I just need to switch my phone to the 2.4 network to stream music via the app, but not a big deal. Thanks for all the help!

Sincerely

ljdietrich

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:home network not recognized
2020-04-18 20:34:58
The issue may be that your devices can only work on either the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz network. Try each.
Options
2020-04-18 21:36:14

Product specification indicate the speakers work with both 2.4 or 5 GHz networks. These are new speakers.

Options
2020-04-18 23:47:25
Try different WIFi channel and band width.
Options
2020-04-19 00:25:32

@ljdietrich 

Could be the Security you are using? Try disabling Security and see if it works?

Are you running Smart Connect? That could cause a problem, turn it off.

Options
2020-04-19 16:17:54

Okay. Here is some more information. The speaker supports both 802.11a/n/ac 5GHz and 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz networks. I have set up TP-Link networks with the Archer router for both 5 and 2.4 GHz. 

As a side note, my iphone and all other iphones in the house recognize both networks. We use the 5 GHz network.

When I try and set up the speaker with Sonos the app it initiates the "Airport Setup". It only "sees" the TP-Link 2.4 GHz network (as well as other surrounding neighborhood networks including our home Verizon network). It does recognize our main Home Network - the TP-Link 5GHz network that we all use for our phones and computers. When I try connecting the speaker to the 2.4 GHz network I get an unexpected error.

I've tried disabling the 5GHz network via the TP-Link admin site and I completely lose that network. I tried changing the channel from 153 to "auto." Auto is how the 2.4 GHz network is setup. Auto places that network on Chanell 11. That didn't work either. 

We have a pretty new hi-bandwith Verizon modem so I doubt bandwith is the problem.

Not sure what else to try. I may have to contact Sonos next unless you have any more suggestions.

Thanks

Lars Dietrich

Options
2020-04-19 16:30:01

Another thing I should mention.

The speakers connect to "home wifi networks with any 802.11b/g/n router. 802.11n only network configurations are not supported" The 2.4 GHz network mode is 11b/g/n mixed. The 5 GHz network's mode is 11a/n/ac mixed. Could that be the issue?

Thanks

ljdietrich

Options
2020-04-19 18:11:52
AC is backward compatible so that should not be an issue. However the statement in the user guide "802.11n only network configurations are not supported" makes me think that this device is a '11G' and not a 11N. That can slow down your network. See https://www.cnet.com/how-to/home-networking-explained-part-1-heres-the-url-for-you/ for more info.
Options
2020-04-20 11:34:40
A few more points. The Band Width I refereed to is the WIFI band Width which should be a setting in each of your WIFI settings. Also be sure that the SSID is not hidden in your WIFI settings as some devices can see it even when it is set to hidden, others not. If your device was made for a different country, it may only support WIFI channels for that country. Each country has different WIFI channel requirements.
Options
2020-04-20 21:34:06

@ljdietrich 

I would try the WPS setup for the printer and the SONOS device to see if that works.

Options
Re:home network not recognized-Solution
2020-04-20 21:44:05 - last edited 2020-04-22 16:55:56

I finally got it to work. Couldn't understand why it at least would not work on the 2.4 network. So I decided to give it one last shot before I gave SONOS a call. Anyhow, brought the speaker into my office close to my router (not really sure if that made a difference). Factory reset the speaker, connected my phone to the TP-Link 2.4 GHz network and tried going through the app setup process again. And voila, it worked! I just need to switch my phone to the 2.4 network to stream music via the app, but not a big deal. Thanks for all the help!

Sincerely

ljdietrich

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1278

Replies: 11

Related Articles