HS105 Local Control only after working for 5 minutes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-14 15:35:46 - last edited 2020-08-31 01:52:34
Model: HS105  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

Just like everyone else who owns these it seems, I am having major issues with HS105 units, two brand new ones. Setup goes smoothly and the unit works. Almost exactly 5 minutes after plugging in the unit, it makes another DHCP request to my router despite already having an IP from when I plugged it in and working. At the same time it makes this new DHCP request (and router does respond normally with same IP it already had) the unit goes into local only control mode. So if I disconnect from WiFi, no control, and of course Alexa control doesn't work since device no longer has connection to Internet it seems.

After about 10 minutes of being in this local only mode, the unit drops WiFi all together, then rejoins WiFi and works again with remote access/control. But, almost exactly 5 minutes later AGAIN, it no longer can connect to internet and local control only it is. This cycle repeats over and over. Once it goes to local only, if I unplug the unit and plug it back in, I get remote control back without waiting the 10 minutes, but sure enough 5 minutes later it is gone again. It's almost exactly 5 minutes everytime so something in the plug is causing internet connections to timeout to TP Link servers.

I have tried changing DNS servers on WiFi network to 8.8.8.8, set WiFi to 20Mhz width and manual channel 1. I have factory reset the unit after doing all of this. And I am on firmware 1.1.3 with hardware v3. I even tried placing an explicit allow rule in my firewall to the unit to make sure absolutely no traffic to internet is being blocked somehow. None of this helped, both units continue to lose internet, but retain local only every 5 minutes on the dot.

Hoping someone has found a fix to this while waiting for TP Link to fix their issue with plug's internet access.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS105 Local Control only after working for 5 minutes-Solution
2020-08-31 01:52:31 - last edited 2020-08-31 01:52:34

To anyone having the same issue in the future, mine was resolved by changing the IP scheme of my network from 10.x.x.x to 192.168.x.x. It seems there is a bug in the plug firmware that doesn't like 10.x.x.x addresses. Hopefully TP Link can fix that in future.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:HS105 Local Control only after working for 5 minutes
2020-08-14 18:09:29

@ilovepancakes 

Go into your router and reserve the IP address for the MAC of the smart plug, that way the IP will never change no matter how many requests it does.

Options
2020-08-14 18:24:54

@Tony 

Hi Tony,

Forgot to mention in original pos, I had already done this for both plugs when I first set them up.

Options
Re:HS105 Local Control only after working for 5 minutes-Solution
2020-08-31 01:52:31 - last edited 2020-08-31 01:52:34

To anyone having the same issue in the future, mine was resolved by changing the IP scheme of my network from 10.x.x.x to 192.168.x.x. It seems there is a bug in the plug firmware that doesn't like 10.x.x.x addresses. Hopefully TP Link can fix that in future.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-11-03 06:07:04

@ilovepancakes 

I had the same issue. For some reason the switches didn't like my extender. When I changed to my main router they work just fine. So, definitely an issue communicating with your wifi device. If you don't have an extender then go into your router settings and assign dedicated MAC id.

Good luck!

Ps: I wish TP-Link would make it easier to change wifi setting for the device instead of having to remove and install again with new wifi. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2272

Replies: 4

Related Articles