HS210Kit - One switch works fine, the other does not control the light at all

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-04 03:29:12 - last edited 2020-09-05 15:59:47
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I installed an HS210 Kit for a living room light.  Straight forward installation as far as I can see with the wires there and a neutral bundle in the box.  I identified the travel wires (red and white) and connected the neutral to the bundle on both switches.  Added them to the app with no problems.  One switch works fine and can be controlled in the app.  The other switch does nothing to turn the light on or off when pressed.  I can't figure out if I did something wrong or the switch is defective.  Any suggestions?  To be clear, I added some pictures.  The 3 way switch was in a 2 gang box on one side and a 3 gang box on the other.  This is not my first installation of Kasa Smart Switches and I've had no problems with any of the others in the house.  Scratching my head on this one...hope someone can point out something obvious that I'm missing, please!  BTW, I clipped the white traveler to shorten it and took the pics before putting black tape back on it to mark it as a repurposed white wire (the before picture shows the white wire with black tape).

Thank you!

The 2 gang side with the HS210 on the right (this is the one that doesn't seem to work)

The 3 gang side with the HS210 on the left (this one works fine and controls the light perfectly)

The 2 gang with the original 3 way switch on the right before I removed it and replaced it with the HS210

The 3 gang with the original 3 way switch in the middle before I removed it and replaced it with the HS210

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS210Kit - One switch works fine, the other does not control the light at all-Solution
2020-09-05 15:59:26 - last edited 2020-09-05 15:59:47

RESOLVED:  Faulty switch in the kit.  Replaced with a new one and everything now works fine.  I slept on it and realized I could do better troubleshooting.  Swapped the switches to see if I could isolate the problem to the wiring or the switch.  Once swapped, the non-working switch continued to not work and the working one worked fine in the other location.  So I concluded it was the switch.  Replaced it with a new one (I am in the middle of installing these all over my house so I have a few new ones available) and everything worked.  Bought these on Amazon.com so going to exchange the faulty one.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:HS210Kit - One switch works fine, the other does not control the light at all-Solution
2020-09-05 15:59:26 - last edited 2020-09-05 15:59:47

RESOLVED:  Faulty switch in the kit.  Replaced with a new one and everything now works fine.  I slept on it and realized I could do better troubleshooting.  Swapped the switches to see if I could isolate the problem to the wiring or the switch.  Once swapped, the non-working switch continued to not work and the working one worked fine in the other location.  So I concluded it was the switch.  Replaced it with a new one (I am in the middle of installing these all over my house so I have a few new ones available) and everything worked.  Bought these on Amazon.com so going to exchange the faulty one.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 686

Replies: 1