Shared neutral wires?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Shared neutral wires?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Shared neutral wires?
Shared neutral wires?
2020-09-13 01:40:45
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Can HS200 (HS210, HS220) switches operate properly in cases where the neutral wires for two circuits are joined?  It appears that the electicians who wired this house had a habit of bundling ALL of the white wires in some junction boxes together, creating multiple pathways back to the main panel.  As a result, there can be a minimal amount of (phantom) voltage on the neutral wire where the switch is to be installed.  Will it damage the HS200 if I test it under these conditions?  Would you expect it to affect operation?  

Options
2 Reply
Re:Shared neutral wires?
2020-09-14 22:32:12

@ToolmanRod 

Our documentation mainly stresses no installing the switch that has the neutral wire missing, but not for bundled neutral wires. I would recommend reaching out to a trained professional in this case.

Options
Re:Shared neutral wires?
2020-09-14 22:57:12

@ToolmanRod 

Thanks.  I have researched the potential safety issues and understand the (low) risk associated with the bundled neutral wires under specific unlikely circumstances.  Further consultation won't help assess how the TP-link hardware might react. 

I have a lot of other electronics that are performing well.  I'm assuming that if I connect the HS200 to a legiimate neutral wire and that wire happens to have a slight phantom voltage (<15V), the switch will also perform as advertised.  If you have reason to believe otherwise, please let me know.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 854

Replies: 2