HS210 ground wire

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS210 ground wire

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
HS210 ground wire
HS210 ground wire
2020-10-11 05:15:00 - last edited 2020-10-11 05:22:55
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I replaced decora light switches with Kasa smart switches. The house is new 2020. The ground wires are connected to the screws at the end of the junction boxes. 

So do I need to connect the green wire from the Kasa switches to anything or can I just leave them like that inside the junction box not connected to anything? 

If the junction box is grounded, should the screws holding the light switch to the junction box be good enough?

I went through the steps on the Kasa App and they ask what wires were connected to the old switch and then they show step by step how to connect those wire. However, because there were no ground wires connected to the decora switches (but only to the junction box), they never say anything about the green ground wire on the Kasa switch. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:HS210 ground wire
2020-10-12 22:43:42

@Saskguy 

Here is the recommendations we have with respect to the ground wire:

Not all wall switches are connected to ground wires and not all junction boxes have a ground wire accessible.

• If your junction box is plastic and no ground wire was connected to your old switch, there may be a bundle of bare copper or green wires in the back of the junction box. You will need to unfold this bundle and connect the green ground wire from HS210 using a wire nut.
  • If your junction box is plastic and no ground wire is present, you can simply cap the ground wire on HS210 with a wire nut. 
  • If your junction box is metal, there may not be a ground wire present; in this case, you should be able to connect your ground wire to the box itself.
Options
Re:HS210 ground wire
2020-11-21 03:19:47

@Tony FYI, the GREEN ground wire only comes thru the switch and is attached to the metal tab/plate behind the top.

There is no internal connection and has no function that l can explain. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1965

Replies: 2

Related Articles