HS200 Failed Invalid Device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-14 21:26:55
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

Hello,

I got my switch, installed it, connected it to the app, added the skill in Alexa and all works fine from the Kasa app, but it would not be discovered by Alexa, I then located the Remote Control toggle and tried it but it will not turn on, it tells me Failed: Invalid Device.

And all things are on the same 2.4 wifi router.

I tried to reset everything, uninstall everything, and reinstall. Nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions

Thanks for you help

Options
21 Reply
Re:HS200 Failed Invalid Device
2020-10-15 16:24:58

@DAHV87 

Try adding the switches IP address as the DMZ to test to see if the router firewall may be blocking it from communicating to the cloud. Switch off the DMZ after testing.

Options
2020-10-21 07:20:08

Same problem here. Troubleshooting got me nowhere.

Only thing I didn't try was disabling firewall/changing DNS settings on my router because Comcast/Xfinity doesn't seem to let users do that anymore on their recent gateways.

DAHV87 wrote

Hello,

I got my switch, installed it, connected it to the app, added the skill in Alexa and all works fine from the Kasa app, but it would not be discovered by Alexa, I then located the Remote Control toggle and tried it but it will not turn on, it tells me Failed: Invalid Device.

And all things are on the same 2.4 wifi router.

I tried to reset everything, uninstall everything, and reinstall. Nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions

Thanks for you help

Options
2020-10-23 04:27:11

@brucery I have also been having the same issue just installed my switch today a I have gotten the same invalid device error ever time no matter what I tried. Someone please help this is very annoying. 

Options
2020-10-24 01:04:17

@DAHV87 

Hello,

I installed two HS 200's today and received the same response "invalid device" when I attempted to turn on remote access , the switch was grayed out, I have 7 other Kasa plugs and switches and have never experienced this issue before. 
I did all the all the suggested fixes, resetting, then did the full factory reset again nothing. So currently the two new switches are local access only.

Not sure what I should try next.

Kemlyn 

Options
2020-10-24 01:36:17

@Kemlyn1 

I am having the same issue.  I have provided the switch with a static IP address and have also tried different WiFi channels.  Nothing seems to work.

Options
2020-10-24 05:17:56

@DAHV87 

I will be requesting a refund on this faulty device.

Options
2020-10-24 14:53:22

@DAHV87 

I'd say my next question is does TP Link/Kasa monitor this forum for comments and current open issues?  Seems no at this point.  I have seven other Kasa plugs and switches most over 3 years old working flawlessly. The two I received this week appear to be defective and can only connect locally the remote option is grayed out as an unavailable option. If TP Link/Kasa doesn't respond in 48 hours with an RCA or a MTR mine will be returned to Amazon with a 1 star unsatisfactory rating.

Options
2020-10-25 23:04:13
Options
2020-10-25 23:07:45 - last edited 2020-10-25 23:09:13

@DAHV87 same thing for me. I'm pretty tech savvy. I have forty or so of the devices that work flawlessly. I have tried everything with no luck. I have noticed the firmware version for the switches that I just installed is different than the others. They actually have a higher number on the firmware version which makes me wonder if Amazon shipped some old switches with old software and kasa isn't updating this version for some reason.

Anyways, enough of my ramblings. Did you or anyone else figure this out yet?

Options
2020-10-27 01:51:49

@JasonColorado I have the same problem with a new switch.  I have 14 other HS200 v2s that are all working flawless.

The new switch is a V3 hardware 1.1.3 firmware switch however.  The realy old thing is that one I purchased about 6 weeks ago is the same version of hardware and firmware and that one has been working flawless.  When I go into settings for that one, or any of the V2 hardware switches, it doesn't give me an option to turn on remote control.  It's only the newest switch.  

Appears they changed something that only effects them when they are initially setup.  I'm not going to reset the older working V3 device to test that theory however

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2598

Replies: 21

Related Articles