HS200 lights always on, replaced with new one and same problem!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-02 01:00:07
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone. I have 5 Kasa smart switches in my house and have had no problems for 13 months now. All of a sudden our kitchen counter lights would not turn off from the app, from google home or manually pressing the button. I reset the switch (both types of reset) and figured the switch had gone bad. I ordered a replacement HS200 and swapped them today and now have the exact same problem with a brand new switch!

To make this even more curious, the counter lights DO eventually turn off late into the light, and back on at some point during the day, although we can't figure out a specific time or cause. I am confident this is/was wired correctly and can't for the life of me figure out what is going on here laugh

Appreciate any help from the community while I sort out how to open a support ticket with TP-Link.

Regards,

Jim

Options
8 Reply
Re:HS200 lights always on, replaced with new one and same problem!
2020-11-03 01:21:56

@MegJimPDX 

Jim do you have the ability to wire, for testing purposes the replacement switch in another switch box?  If it worked this would rule out the switch itself and leave only a wiring issue beyond that.  Especially if a manual toggle did not work that would be the only thing it could be.  As for the wiring I know you said the pervious one was working but to make sure you have minium of 3 wires connected.  Live, Load and Neutral correct?  and the Live and Load are connected to different wires in the wall box? 

Options
2020-11-11 19:56:57

@Carl thank you for your response! Yes all three wires are connected properly (we have 6 of them in the house). The really funny thing is that I replaced the switch with a new one, and have had the SAME behavior, but less consistently. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't devil

I am starting to think this is a software issue, meaning a possible conflict with the Kasa account, Kasa app and Google Home? We recently switched our Google Home profile to a shared personal Google account (G-Suite accounts can not "share" a home) and worried there is some sort of conflict between the different accounts. The other thing we noticed is that the switch/device becomes unresponsive at certain times, such as after our front deck lights turn on (scheduled at "Sunset" in the Kasa app). It is the strangest thing!

Options
2020-11-12 17:13:10

@MegJimPDX 

For the Google Home the easiest way to address that to delete the Kasa account link in your google assistant app and then re-link the association.  If the same behavior is happening on the 2nd switch even in a lesser degree its likely one of 3 things.  Network connection, Software, or intergration concerns.  The above should address the intergration concern.  The network can be checked by checking the connection rate where the switch is connected at and making sure its a strong signal.  Software we would likely need engineering to work with you directly. 

Let me know once the two you can address are addressed and i will send this over with that added infromation to our system engineering team.

Options
2021-01-12 19:52:49

@Carl thank you SO MUCH for your suggestions, and sorry I completely dropped the ball on this. For a short while we had no problems, and then NOW the switch (the newer one I replaced the original with) which controls all our kitchen counter lights will turn OFF at 7:46pm every night! I think I have gremlins in my system, it is driving me crazy trying to figure it out. Also another older smart plug (also TP-Link) keeps randomly turning on in my wife's she shed. So I suspect it is getting some turn off signal from a connected app/service/device and wish I could see a LOG of requests being sent to the switch and track down the source.

I have completely unlinked ALL accounts (and all 20 switches and plugs) from Google Home and painstakingly added them back and it is still happening.

Here is a screenshot of the device. Latest firmware and FULL wifi signal. Our third Google Wifi (not the newer NEST Wifi) is in out kitchen and about 8 feet from the switch.

Options
2021-01-15 16:57:23

@MegJimPDX 

Does the Google WiFi system have a feature called Fast Roam?  If so try disabling it.  We have seen time to time that in our Mesh that Fast Roam can cause issue with static non-moving devices.  Also, please let me know if the app and the firmware of the devices are all up to date.

Options
2021-01-17 22:28:02

@Carl yes the new 3.0 device has firmware 1.1.4 and my two other HS200 switches are v2.0 with firmware 1.5.7. My Kasa app is updated automatically with Android. The remainder of my controlled plugs are smart plugs and power strips. I searched through all the Google Wifi setting (not many) and there was no mention of Fast Roam. It is a standard mesh system with one primary base and two satellite, including the one in the kitchen near the switch having issues. Again there is this window between say 5pm and 7:30pm whether the switch becomes inoperable (by google home app or physical touch) and then snaps off (or on) around 7:45pm.

Options
2021-01-18 22:34:22

@MegJimPDX 

Is the email address you use for the community the same for your Kasa account?  

Options
2021-01-19 23:14:11

@MegJimPDX 

I am going to reach out to the Kasa Engineers.  I removed your last post so your personal email address was not broadcasted publically.  when i get a response i will let you know. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 804

Replies: 8