Rebooted Router, Now Wired Connection is Slower than Wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-07 14:18:16 - last edited 2021-05-09 15:15:17
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9

ISP is Xfinity; internet tier is Extreme Pro rated up to 800 Mbps.  Router is the Archer AX50.  My modem is a Netgear CM1100.  I have six wireless devices and one wired.  The wired device is my primary laptop which sits directly beneath the router with with a Cat 6 cable.
On occasion I will shut down both router and modem for a few minutes as matter of maintenance, (maybe every 2 months or so), the most recent being this morning.  Each time I do this my wired connection drops from its usual 940 Mbps to where it is right now, about 125 Mbps.  Meanwhile, my wifi speed just clocked in at 388 Mbps.  Based on past history, the wired connection will show these reduced speeds for several days and then gradually work back to the 900+ range.  
Any ideas why this is happening? Thank you.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Rebooted Router, Now Wired Connection is Slower than Wifi
2021-05-09 13:02:08

@Carbo 

I assume you mean six WIFI devices and one wired.

That is strange.

I would try:

• Different Ethernet cables
  • Be sure you are using the power adapter that came with the router
  • Try a different PC as it may be the PC.
  • Bypass the router and connect the PC direct to the modem and check the results.

Options
2022-02-19 06:16:24

@ArcherC8 Don't waste your time or money. TP-LINK knows there's a major problem with the firmware that cannot be fixed. I've owned 2 ac5400x models. One a version 1 and a version 2. I've owned the gx90, and an ax11000. All of them have slow throughput when using 1gig internet service. The problem according to the TP-Link engineer I finally got to look at my cases after owning almost 5,000 dollars worth of their routers is in the trend micro security coding. You can install a beta firmware that will gut the router of the firewall, antivirus, qos, and parental controls and it will stabilize the router for about a month and it will go right back to low throughput. The problem is the firmware has a massive leak in the memory. The routers can't stabilize the internet connection because it's overflow process is one massive bottleneck that was put there intentionally to cause issues in the routers memory core. Seems tplink doesn't have the courage to admit it even when staring at their own source code they built these 300 to 500 dollar routers to fail to get us to buy more routers that will fail. 

Tplink is garbage. What kind of a company releases "gaming routers" to the public and I say that mockingly because your qos is using an algorithm that Cisco released under a gnu in 2003 and your routers offer no ping stabilization software, no realtime qos update protocols, no legitimate VPN capabilities and before you say oh it's got OpenVPN I say to you, really? Google your OpenVPN software and look at your results. It has massive security flaws. It's the lowest ranked vpn software available in every major category.

But forget all of that. This is how pathetic you worthless pieces of garbage truly are. Your solution to the public at large once so many people had routers that don't perform at the basic speeds you say that you had to finally admit you knew all along it was a firmware flaw on your end you idiots solution to the problem was to point to BETA firmware that will make the router last a few months more but gut every single feature you lying sacks of crap advertised as the reason we have to pay hundreds of dollars for your Chinese and Vietnam made junk. No qos, no parental controls, no firewall, no antivirus, no malware protection. Oh and lest I forget, if we really want our lan connection to work the way it should in the first place you freaking idiots literally say to shut down the wireless connection to the router because smart control has big bugs in it to that you can't get fixed. 

Let me help everyone here out. Is your tplink product you ju

Options
2022-02-19 06:34:10
To finish my thought, Is your tplink product you just bought crapping out on you? Is your modem speeds 2 times higher than the speeds your tplink product currently report through speed test? Do you randomly and for no reason whatsoever lose 50 60 70 80 percent of your throughput an hour to three hours into your journey surfing the web? Do you call spectrum, Xfinity, att customer support to complain your internet is slow just to get a 20 year old tech sent to your house to show you his meter that says that the internet being slow isn't on their end? Well friends look no further because I have the solution for you. Turns out your tplink product is junk. That's right, the same people who've made a name over the years with useless Ethernet switches now decided to bring that same quality to your local Walmart and amazon.com with their routers. That's right, doesn't matter what router you own because tplink wants to show everyone the love they have by releasing routers that have more bugs in them than a condemned flat in new York city. And if you thought hey I'll get tech support to get my router going boy they got you. Turns out they will blame it on your internet provider, your modem, your Ethernet cables, lunar eclipses, the tides rising and falling, even on your own incompetence all the while knowing they sold you junk and just want to keep that hidden so they can keep pumping out more junk. So get out those receipts you amazing people and return those routers back to the company that flipped us the bird while taking our hard earned money and buy yourself an Asus or nighthawk and smile knowing that if they can't sell their junk anymore they can go bankrupt and you'll be returning the favor and be flipping tplink off all the way to bankruptcy court. Because tplink is garbage and should be treated as such. Have a great day tplink, you freaking losers
Options
2022-02-25 14:22:14

@Scott6000 

As my handle says, I have an Archer C8. I have Xfinity 300 service. I get around 350 speed wired. I have three wired clients and 25 or so WIFI clients. WIFI speeds are slower depending on distance, location, interference from other WIFI, device loads, ... I rarely reboot the router and found no leakage. 

I have used a new ASUS AX router and found wired speeds to be about the same but the WIFI is noticeably slower. The Asus router has better ping times 25-30 vs 50-55.  Maybe I need to tweak the WIFI settings a bit.

I have used other brands of routers and have found plus and minus points with each. None are perfect for everyone. Whenever I have had Internet issues, it has been things other than my router or me playing with the settings causing issues. I still have an old Linksys ‘G’ router that still works that I saved as a backup if I ever needed it. Never needed it.

If all of the TP link routers were as bad as you state, then they would be out of business a long time ago.  I am sure there have been some models that may not be as good as others. I do like TP Links forum better that what is available for Asus.

I do not like or use all of the features that all routers have nor the direction they seem to be going with cloud based settings. They all oversell the features and what they can do. Some have failed to provide a promised feature or taken away a feature when adding other features. Many offer to many products that overlap and make supporting them all that more difficult. Some are adding monthly cost features which I would not buy.

It is sort of like the car industry. Some like certain brands. Some models are winners and some are losers. Some cost more to buy yet others cost more to own and use. Many features go unused. They are adding monthly cost features.    

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 563

Replies: 4

Related Articles