Network Disconnect Alert

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Network Disconnect Alert

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Network Disconnect Alert
Network Disconnect Alert
2021-08-09 18:34:06

I set up one of my devices on my home network for an email alert when the device is active on my network.  I am seeing "device connected" and "Device Disconnected" in my alerts.  I am not sure what either one means.  Does disconnected mean the device is no longer seen on the network, or that the device is seen but not actively do something on the network.  Likewise, doesc connected me the network does see the device and/or the device is also active.  Can someone help me understand.

Thanks, 

Chris

Options
5 Reply
Re:Network Disconnect Alert
2021-08-09 22:28:24

chris0859 wrote

I set up one of my devices on my home network for an email alert when the device is active on my network.

@chris0859 

Not sure what you actually did here?

• ''Whom" is report this and to "Who"?
  • When does this happen, when 'what' connects to the network?
  • If something 'disconnects', how can it send an email?

Sort of confusing to me without more details?

I am seeing "device connected" and "Device Disconnected" in my alerts.  I am not sure what either one means. 

Is it the ROUTER telling you this? How are you accomplishing this 'feature'?

Active on the network? I don't thnk any device is 100% active on the network. By 'active' I mean continually sending and receiving TCP/IP packets. More than one device on a network, it really can't be using all the throughput, not to mention the delay in getting packets back from the Internet.

In most cases, 'Connected' usually would mean the device IS on the network. Conversely, 'Disconnected' would be the opposite, no longer on the network.

Unless whatever you have looking at the LAN IP Address and sending off emails based on some IP Address being on the LAN or not, can get between the device and router it can't easily tell if it is active. It can be done I guess with a packet sniffer and some packet processing however.

Maybe I don't understand your question, at least not without fully understanding how you are doing this?

Options
2021-08-12 21:25:01

@chris0859  So I have both the Tether app and access to my router via my desktop computer.  This option to alert me when a device is connected or disconnected was initated through the desktop version.  I found it in the area of the router that shows devices on the network.  It asks if I wanted to be alerted when a particular device disconnects or connects to the network.  The messaging is sent to my email each time there is a connect or disconnect from this specific device which includes date, time, type and description of the device.  I have attached with this email a pic of the message itself.  Like you, I am not certain whether or not the purpose for this alert relates to the device itself disconnecting or connecting to the network, and if not, then what else can it be connecting to or disconnecting from.  DNS traffic is not like browsers connecting and disconnecting to sites on the internet.  I did notice that on occasion when this device does leave the network due to movement away from the network (travel outside the reach of the network) the messaging suddenly stops and there is no alert received during that timeframe, until the device comes back into reach of the network and messaging begins again.  So whatever the alert relates to it is only active when the device is on the network.  I have been wondering if the individual who controls this device is actually intentionally, manually disconnecting the device from the network when they are not using the device and manually connecting when they intend to be active for some purpose.  Another point is that there are many times where the alerts come in with the normal sequence of disconnecting and then connecting.  in other words, instead of a sequence like "connect" followed by "disconnect" and then "Connect" again, I see "connected",  "connected" and "connected" again.  Then "disconnected" may show afterwards.  Each one there is varying time frames when they occur with no real pattern.

Chris

File:
DOC081221-08122021151337.pdfDownload
Options
2021-08-13 14:55:53

@chris0859 

Chris, thanks for the reply, and I would like to help you.

Unfortunately all I got out of your reply was that have an Archer A9. I looked at the manual (https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/archer-a9_v6/conventions) and I can't FIND in it what setting you set?

I even looked at the Emulator, https://emulator.tp-link.com/a9v6/index.html , and can't see a setting like you said you set?

I assume you've used Tether then to do that.

Thether will report ONLY when a device connects or Disconnects to the Router (that is gets an IP Address or frees it).

As for why you see many connects and disconnects, ask the person using the device. It can happen for many reasons.

• Obviously turning the device on/off will cause the email to be sent.
  • Going out of range of the wifi SSID and then coming back in.
  • Quite possible there is interference causing the device to drop the connection and reconnect.
  • If you are using SMART CONNECT, that might have it happen almost seamlessly, but send emails anyway.

Also, possible power spikes causing a device to 'hiccup', including the router.

I've never used that feature, I found it annoying.  If you are worried someone will connect to your router without permission I guess using an White List in Access Control to ONLY allow devices you know about to connect to the router.

Options
2021-08-13 21:22:11

@chris0859 

You are correct.  This was set up using Tether.  I did not notice the name of the Alert "New Device Alerts".  Get alerts when new devices connect to your network.  You can receive these notifications via push  Notifications or email.  So, now my take is that this particular person on my network is connecting and disconnecting  using a new or different device from what I and the network initially set up for them, or better said, know them by on this network.  If this is a correct interpretation of what is occuring, can the network reveal the ip address for this new device.  How can I know what this device is beside simply asking the person.  If this is not the correct interpretation, how should I understand what is going on.

Chris

Options
2021-08-14 12:52:11

@chris0859 

Chris, I don't use Tether other than when on my phone and need to check something on the router. It is fine for what it does, but I am also 'old fashioned'. I much prefer to use a Browser and the Router Graphical User Interface. Matter of fact, to change (or see) all the info and settings, even Tether via Tools, Advanced Settings will open a Browser on your phone so you can work with those.

chris0859 wrote

So, now my take is that this particular person on my network is connecting and disconnecting  using a new or different device from what I and the network initially set up for them, or better said, know them by on this network.  If this is a correct interpretation of what is occuring, can the network reveal the ip address for this new device.  How can I know what this device is beside simply asking the person.  If this is not the correct interpretation, how should I understand what is going on.

Chris

Well, you might be right or wrong?

First, even with Tether, you CAn see 'who' is connected to 'what'. Just tap CLIENTS at the bottom of the screen. All the info you want is there. Want more info on a device, just TAP it. Don't recognize it, tap BLOCK and it will disappear from the LAN and can't get back on (MAC address based block).

Also you might be getting confused by the Connection Alert. Make sure Known Device Alert is OFF... I don't know why you'd want to know that, unless it was a child you were monitoring for usage at times they shouldn't be?

Tether doesn't have Parental Controls, but a Browser connected to the Router GUI does. Use that if you are trying to monitor a child's usage. Be aware, that isn't foolproof or hard to bypass. May not be as good a tool as you think.

In any event, once you get the Device Connect email, the NAME of the device is there, open Tether, then Clients on the bottom and look for that NAME. You'll see the IP Address. Normally, that SAME IP Address will be awarded to the same device IF not already in use. Check and compare. Different IP Addres, look to see if someone else has it, that could be due to a collision (new device connected and it has a set STATIC IP Address and asks for it. The router knocks the present user of that IP Address and the new device connects. Then the device knocked off-line reconnects to a new IP Address.

With more info, you can determine what is going on.

Now if you DO NOT know 'who' that "Dee-s-S10e" is, I'd guess it is someone named Dee S. with a Samsung Galaxy S10e. Talk to them :-) Don't know who? BLOCK the device.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 776

Replies: 5

Related Articles