Choosing a channel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Choosing a channel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Choosing a channel
Choosing a channel
2021-11-27 05:28:26 - last edited 2021-11-29 09:31:43
Model: Archer AX3200  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: ??

Is there a way to choose what channel you want the wireless device to be on or does this model choose it for you? For example; if I want all the devices to be on channel six can I change it? I am using the "online" TP Link dashboard from my desktop. My devices are all on different channels with the AX3200. Why?                                                                                                                                               

Thank you for your help!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Choosing a channel-Solution
2021-11-27 12:31:36 - last edited 2021-11-29 09:31:43

@Markmv 

I suspect you have SmartConnect turned on. Turn it off and you will be able to set your channels. Note you will need to use different SSIDs for each band and use your device's WIFI settings to assign each device to the channels/bands you want.

Advance settings/wireless/wireless settings/turn smart connect off/set channels,SSIDs,...

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Choosing a channel-Solution
2021-11-27 12:31:36 - last edited 2021-11-29 09:31:43

@Markmv 

I suspect you have SmartConnect turned on. Turn it off and you will be able to set your channels. Note you will need to use different SSIDs for each band and use your device's WIFI settings to assign each device to the channels/bands you want.

Advance settings/wireless/wireless settings/turn smart connect off/set channels,SSIDs,...

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Choosing a channel
2021-11-27 15:33:35

@Markmv 

Thank you,

That worked, Spectrum agent recommended that I use channel 6 for thye 2.4 g setting.

Options
2021-11-27 17:15:32

Markmv wrote

@Markmv 

Thank you,

That worked, Spectrum agent recommended that I use channel 6 for thye 2.4 g setting.

@Markmv 

Unless the Spectrum guy was in your house and ran a Network Analyser (Like Acrylic, https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-wifi-wireless-network-software-tools/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/) there is no way to see how crowded the band channel is. Depending where you live and how many nearby routers are near you, you might need a different channel.

For instance:

I too have Spectrum, and do the others around me that my PC can see. I am on Channel 9, but 3 around me ar on 11, and depending where they are (lower value means further away usually, if they are close to each other, they could have some interference.

Just because there is no one on Channel 6, that doesn't mean it is not in use in other areas.

By the SSID's, I can tell that most are Spectrum owned Routers:

BHN is Brighthouse Networks, the name here before Spectrum took them over. Also, Netgear is a personal Router that probably has Spectrum service, and I'd suspect ICS is too.

Options
2021-11-28 16:14:44

@Markmv 

OK, Thank you for this.

I admit this starts to get a little advanced for me.

So do you recommend letting the TP-AX3200 automatically choose what channel top use? When I did that & checked a Roku device it chose a different band & channel, it said signal strength excellent but internet download Mbps was extremely low. I don't understand why.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-11-29 00:45:52

@Markmv 

When you use Smart Connect, the router and device 'talk to each other' and determine the best band to use. Usually, but not always, this will be the band the device's 802.11 speed is designed for (G, N, AC, AX). For Roku, usually AC for the newer devices.

Markmv wrote

@Markmv 

When I did that & checked a Roku device it chose a different band & channel, it said signal strength excellent but internet download Mbps was extremely low. I don't understand why.

Thank you very much.

With out explicit details, I don't know what you did, saw, and how?

How do you know the Roku is on a different Band and Channel? If you have SMART CONNECT enabled, it uses a SINGLE SSID for all channels. So if enabled you would not know what SSID (e.1. Channel #) the Roku is on? I've not looked recently on mine, but I recall about all it shows is the 'normal' IP Connection data? IP Addresses (device and gateway) and some other stuff, but not channel #?

How did you determine that?

Roku (that I have) retains the device settings, even when off. When powered on, it will use those, so again, I can't see how it was changing?

What is your Spectrum ISP speed? If it is over 10Mbps a(nd I don;t think they even have service that low) that is plenty for streaming.

Wondering if you have QoS on or not set correctly? If your Spectrum Speed is 100Mbps or higher however, more than likely you don't even need QoS unless there is some heavy streaming on another device or game plaing going on at the same time.

Channel itself is only important if there is congestion there. Otherwise, most routers by default find the best one to use.

Options
2021-11-29 16:44:50

@Markmv 

Thanks so much, all of this is helping me with great insight on the WiFi.

I checked the Roku by going to settings & "check connection".  It will show results such as IP address, channel, signal strenght.

I just checked one of my Roku's (I have 3), The manual setting for this device is TP Link 5g_1, channel 36, signal strenght "excellent", internet connection "good" 85 mbps.

My internet service is Spectrum 100 mbps speed.

So I guess I am in good shape & should leave the manual settings as is unless it is advisable to havbe the TP AX3200 set to "Smart" enable option. When I did that it had Roku internet connection at a low 49mbps. So that's why I am setting it to manual.

thanks for your help

Options
2021-11-29 18:09:08

@Markmv 

I prefer to use "Auto" for channels as which channel is best can change from time to time if you have a lot of other WIFIs in the area.  I would use specific channels if I was having issues. So many other non WIFI devices either use or interfer with WIFI where using a specific channels is needed.

I would not use Smart Connect as I prefer to more control over my network. I use different SSIDs and place specific devices on specific bands. In most cases, the 2.4 band is slower and give you better distance and the 5.0 band is faster.  For the fastest speed, use an Ethernet cable instead of WIFI.

Options
2021-11-29 18:45:10

@Markmv 

Thank you very much, I find that advice so helpful. I do have the desktop connected with ethernet Cat 6 cable instead of the 5e cable. 

You also clarified for me the difference between 2.4 & 5 g.

Your response was very helpful to me

thx again

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 838

Replies: 8

Related Articles