Enhancement Request: Disable On/Off Functionality

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-10 02:47:56 - last edited 2022-01-10 02:49:04
Model: KP115  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version:

Firstly, I actually have the KP125 but it's not an option in the model dropdown. This shouldn't matter for my question though.

Is there any plan to offer a way that we can disable the on/off button in the app? I just started buying kasa smart stuff like crazy because I'm loving the switches and plugs. But I decided I'd put my PC in an energy monitoring plug, and now I'm concerned I or someone in my house might accidentally turn off my computer.

Adding a simple toggle in the app would be amazing. Like if they go to a specific device's settings, they would have an option like this:

TP-Link

Options
2 Reply
Re:Enhancement Request: Disable On/Off Functionality
2022-01-11 02:36:42

Hello @rsherga 

Thank you for your feedback , do you mean you're worried that someone might turn off the plug through Kasa APP accidentally? 

It does not seem to be a very common request, would you consider some workaround, like bound kasa device in a different TP-Link ID and control it separately ( but this requires log in a different account) or give it a special name warning not move the certain plug. 

Options
Re:Enhancement Request: Disable On/Off Functionality
2022-01-11 03:34:59 - last edited 2022-01-11 03:48:02

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for your reply. In my googling, I only came across a similar request from 2019 here --> https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/178378

In regards to your reply:

"worried that someone might turn off the plug through the KASA app accidentally?"

Yeah that's the main concern. I bought the plug for the energy consumption monitoring which is an awesome feature. My wife and I both have access to all the kasa devices in the house, and I'm not only nervous about her accidentally tapping it but even myself. Essentially, because it's so simple to just tap and have it switch between off/on without any confirmation prompt, it can end up being catastrophic if a certain device like a desktop pc is plugged into it. Even though it's such an awesome convenience to do it so easily with other devices, I accidentally tap my screen all the time and if I wanted to check power consumption but instead hit too close to power I'll shut off my PC instead.

That's why I was thinking it'd be amazing to have an option in settings, rather than suggesting a confirmation prompt. Because it would also be frustrating for end-users to have to tap "confirm" every time you wanted to toggle power lol. Would be an innocuous change for those that don't need it, but for others that do want the ability to disable the power toggle in app it would be a godsend. Just because people aren't asking for it doesn't mean there aren't many out there who would like that feature.

Edit:

I have it named "MATT'S PC DON"T TURN OFF" as a deterrent. And to put it under a different account would make it inconvenient to have to sign out each time my needs changed.

In the same vein of power turning off when unwanted, I noticed the plug power cycles when updating firmware. When an auto-update happens, will this occur as well or is the user warned via the app? Would be a bummer to just suddenly lose power to a device because auto-update has executed.

Thanks again for your help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 358

Replies: 2