Fundamental Issue with Mesh extenders and Cameras

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-11 15:54:08
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

There Seems to be a fundamintal issue with mesh expanders and Cameras KC410 S.   If the Camera is  connected to the mesh expander and the mesh expander goes down (reboot, schedual reboot, Power failure)  the camera tends to latch on to main wifi source.  For what ever reason (low signal, ....) the camera is kept for connecting remotely.   If you reboot the camera with the expander on all is well.  Is there some type of work around for this problem

Options
8 Reply
Re:Fundamental Issue with Mesh extenders and Cameras
2022-01-12 01:13:10 - last edited 2022-01-12 01:15:17

Hello @DaleP 

For ' mesh expander goes down' can you help explain in details, does extender lose Internet, how about the LED status like Wi-Fi led, signal led on extender when issue occurs.  Do you use tp-link OneMesh, can I know the model of router and extender? Do you mean once camera connect to RE, it will lose internet, If do not connect camera to RE, could extender work stably for a few days? 

- If you use TP-Link OneMesh network, to help isolate the issue, try to turn off  OneMesh temporarily, use a SSID for range extender which is different from router and relink camera to extender WiFi. 

- Please confirm range extender has the latest firmware version. 

Options
2022-01-12 12:30:08

@Solla-topee 

Im sorry that first sentence was not correct from me.  I just assumed the extender was turning off.   The  period of the camera going offline is very long.  1- 2 weeks (reboot and the camera seems fine both locally and out of network - The last time camera went offline remotely I was succesfuly connected to the house via other devices - when I got to the house I could connect to the camera locally.  Then leaving the house it was offline again).  I have noticed that the IP address of the camera jumps from being connected to the extender RE505  one time  and then to the router AX90 then back again.  This happened just this morning (Why - I was using the Tether app and looking at the clients on the extender seeing the camera was connected and about 15 min latter the camera was connected back to the router and not on the extender).   I have an Alex Echo connected to the extender (5Ghz) and it never changes back and forth.   Only have the two devices extended.  

Firmware - AX505X - 1.0.12 build 2021107 Re.182157

Firmware - AX90 - 1.15 Build 2021 0903 rel.39200

Firmware - KC410S 2.3.6

I am not at the site to reboot the camera (via unplugging it) is there a way to do that from your Kasa app.  Also I have problems observing the LEDs on anything because I am offsite.  

Please don't ask me to turn off the mesh - Other devices seem to work fine (iphones.... Alexa.) - and that is why I bought the mesh for. 

Options
2022-01-13 03:20:29

Hello @DaleP 

Really appreciated for more case details! When you notice that camera jumps from RE to router's Wi-Fi, did the camera go offline remotely ( work local only)at that moment?

1. Before Camera offline remotely, did you reboot Router or RE, or was there any Internet issue on RE/ Router?
2. Try to turn off OneMesh temporarily, and RE uses a different SSID from router's.
Connect camera directly to router Wi-Fi and test if camera offline remotely or not. (to help isolate if related to mesh network environment)

Options
2022-01-13 17:06:24

I have not noticed the camera going off line - it would take me to jump in the car and drive out of wifi range to check this.   However this jumping back and forth happens many times / day  - Note other devices don't do this 

This has only accured once where I was not able to go online with the camera when I was at my other residence ( Lasting greater than 2 hours )  and then I drove to the site where the camera was.  I noticed when I went to my wifi I was able to connect - at that point I rebooted the camera and left the site and found out when I got out of WIFI range I was able to connect ok to the camera.   

I did not have any problems with any other items when your camera went offline -  No reboot ..... 

I cannot disable the mesh because I rely on it for cell phones and music at that site.   Because it happened once probabillities say I would have to wait at least a month.  

One observed question is why does the camera jump back and forth.   That seems to be an issue in itself.

Options
2022-01-14 06:41:32 - last edited 2022-01-14 09:31:57

@DaleP 

I reviewed your initial post and found I misunderstood the concern, here are some information that may help clear things up. 

1. Will Kasa Camera switch to a different Wi-Fi  if there is stronger Wi-Fi signal shows up in the network 
- No. Kasa Camera will stick to the current Wi-Fi until there is some issue with current  Wi-Fi signal like no Internet or signal is gone etc. 

2. How to check the camera is currently connected to tp-link Router or connected to tp-link Range extender?

- When Camera is connected to  Extender Wi-Fi, you are able to see it on both Router / Range extender client list on Tether APP.  As router is the DHCP server assigning IP address for cameras, devices connected to extender Wi-Fi will be considered as router 's clients. 

-When the camera is connected to Router Wi-Fi, it will disappear from  Range Extender Client list on Tether APP but only shows up on Router client list. 

Do you mean you notice disappear from RE client list on Tether app few times a day? 

3.   Will a Wi-Fi device always switch to the AP with the strongest Wi-Fi signal in a OneMesh network? 

A  Wi-Fi device may not always connect to AP which has the strongest Wi-Fi signal 

OneMesh will only recommend Wi-Fi client (Wi-Fi devices like laptops, phones etc.) to roam to a stronger Wi-Fi, but not force a client to the strongest Wi-Fi.  Whether Wi-Fi client starts to roam still depends on the roaming rules of  the device itself, e.g. a phone may start to scan for a different SSID when current Wi-Fi signal become very weak and trigger its roaming threshold, after pass the authentication and it starts to roam to a different Wi-Fi. 

Options
2022-01-14 07:25:58 - last edited 2022-01-14 09:26:43

Hello @DaleP 

As the issue is quite unusual, I created a support email for your case TKID220115784 and escalate your case, please check your inbox.

Options
2022-01-14 16:40:06

@Solla-topee

Thank You for this info

under item 1 -  An observed data point just this morning 

Just before I drove to the camera site,  I used item 2 ( this is always how I check conditions)  I observed 1 client under the  Wifi Extender ( This was an alexas on the 5Ghz channel).  The camera was on the router and it was connected.    I drove into the garage and checked again  3 clients under the Wife Extender  Camera 2.4Ghz and my phone 5Ghz,  + alexas on the 5Ghz chanel.     Both Alexas and Camera are on the outer edge of the the circle  at the same radius to both extender and router.   

I just checked again and I am back to 1 client  just the Alexas 5Ghz 

If I understand the rules my kasa camera is violating rule 1 unless my extender is turning on or off  ????  why wouldnt the Alexas switch too?

Options
2022-01-21 06:11:33

Hello @DaleP 

As of my understanding, camera should stick with Range extender's Wi-Fi if RE work stable always have Internet.  If you found camera disappear from RE's client list in Tether APP, but shows up router Client list in Tether APP, that's uncommon.

You could communicate with our engineer on support email directly TKID220115784 for further findings. 

By the way, if you wish to test if camera is offline remotely, switch phone to LTE mobile data or non-local Wi-Fi network (disconnect phone from Home WiFi network) just make sure phone has internet that should be fine. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 547

Replies: 8